A man who had already pled guilty to sexually coercing a teenage female relative was allegedly able to go on a sexual assault spree shortly before sentencing, thanks to systemic soft-on-crime policies in New York City.
Back in August, Justin Washington, 25, pled guilty to sexual coercion after a teenage relative accused him of raping her last February. Washington was initially charged with first-degree rape, first-degree sexual abuse, and forcible touching. Though prosecutors requested that the judge set bail at $100,000, the judge instead ordered a $25,000 cash bail or $50,000 bond.
Several weeks later, prosecutors lessened the charges to third-degree rape, claiming that there was not enough evidence to support the original charges. A judge then reduced bail to $12,000, which Washington paid.
Despite the seriousness of the original charges, prosecutors offered Washington, who had no prior criminal record, a sweetheart plea deal. He could plead guilty to sexual coercion and serve a measly 30-day sentence. He wouldn't even have to register as a sex offender, according to one policeman. Had he been charged with and convicted of first-degree rape, he would have faced up to 25 years in prison.
Washington was supposed to be sentenced on Wednesday, but last week, he allegedly went on a sexual assault spree that has since jeopardized his plea deal.
According to police, Washington sexually assaulted five people — four women and one man — in the Bronx over the course of about two hours on the morning of September 15. Police say that Washington:
- Broke into the home of an 18-year-old male. He groped the man's buttocks underneath his underwear and repeatedly asked for a dollar. The man offered him a dollar, but Washington did not take it.
- Crawled up an apartment fire escape about 40 minutes later and began banging on the window where a 26-year-old mother was at home with her infant child. When the woman opened the curtain, she found Washington masturbating on the fire escape.
- Managed to force his way into an apartment elsewhere in the same building and tried to rape a 49-year-old mother. Washington forced her onto a bed, attempted to disrobe her, spread her legs apart, smelled her, and began masturbating. The woman then fought back, biting Washington's hand and eventually hitting him in the head with a hammer until he left.
- Stole a woman's panties from another apartment and began masturbating.
- Molested a homeless woman by pulling down her pants, grabbing her buttocks, and masturbating.