"Let’s be clear. Having children is why you’re worried about your price for gas. It’s why you’re concerned about how much food costs," Abrams said.
"For women, this is not a reductive issue — you can’t divorce being forced to carry an unwanted pregnancy from the economic realities of having a child. And so these are — it’s important for us to have both/and conversations. We don’t have the luxury of reducing it or separating it out," she added.
Stacey Abrams: Reproductive Rights Is An Economic Issuewww.youtube.com
Earlier in the interview, Abrams claimed that abortion is an "economic issue" because women who birth children they do not want may end up impoverished.
"Abortion is an economic issue," Abrams said. "It’s been reduced to this idea of a culture war.
"But for women in Georgia, this is very much a question of whether they’re going to end up in poverty in the next 5 years because women who are forced to carry unwanted pregnancies end up within poverty— they’re four times more likely to be impoverished in 5 years," she added.
What was the reaction?
Abrams' suggestion that children are an economic burden who make the impacts of inflation worse on your personal finances was summarily condemned.
- "Despicable. I can’t believe this needs to be said, but ending a human life is not the solution for inflation," Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) said.
- ".@staceyabrams’ comments are simply outrageous and barbaric. The solution to the Democrats’ inflation crisis is to abort more babies? Absolutely disgusting," Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.) said.
- "Exactly. Abortions are an important economic tool to reduce inflation. As is the mandatory purchase of $100,000 electric cars to fight climate change," professor Gad Saad mocked.
- "The Democrat cure for inflation is to kill more children. These people are cartoonishly evil. They aren't even trying to hide it. Literal comic book villains at this point," Matt Walsh observed.
- "Why do Democrats think it’s better to be dead — or a murderer — than poor?" Seth Dillon of the Babylon Bee reacted.
- "Democrats’ current midterm argument is: elect more Democrats so we can have more late-term abortions of healthy children to offset the cost of Democrat-caused inflation," Stephen Miller, a senior official in the Trump administration, responded.
- "I didn't really expect Democrats to go with 'you know, it's cheaper to feed your family if you kill a few of them' as a closing argument, yet here we are," writer Dan McLaughlin observed.
- "How immoral and ridiculous a statement," Republican Chris Christie condemned.
Polls show that Abrams is trailing Gov. Brian Kemp (R) by an average of more than five points, suggesting that she will lose to Kemp for the second consecutive time.
That's good news for unborn children in the Peach State.