The Idaho family of a teen boy sprayed by a cyanide explosive that killed their dog is outraged they weren’t told the device was planted near their home. Fourteen year old Canyon Mansfield went on a walk last Thursday with his three year old yellow lab named Casey.
They were hiking behind their Pocatello home when Mansfield touched what he thought was a pipe and was instantly covered in orange gas spewing from the device. The boy was able to wash the gas, which turned out to be cyanide, off his face with snow, but his dog, Casey, wasn’t so fortunate. The dog died from the poisoning.
"I sprint over to him and I see him having a seizure and he's all tensing up. He looked like he was bleeding, but it was coming from his mouth and then his eyes were turning glassy," said Canyon.
The family discovered that Canyon and Casey had been sprayed by what is known as an ‘M-44,’ which is a spring activated device that releases cyanide. They have been used to control coyotes by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The bomb was placed illegally by wildlife services, which violated a 2016 ban on putting these devices on federal land. Canyon and his mother Theresa Mansfield join Sara Gonzales, filling in on "Dana," to discuss this tragedy.