Church Holds Second Amendment Sunday
God and guns go hand-in-hand according to a Chicago-area pastor who hosted a Second Amendment Sunday in his church – that included a cake decorated with an edible chocolate Glock emblazoned with the phrase, “Blessed Are the Peacemakers.”
“Jesus was not a pacifist,” said John Kirkwood, pastor of Grace Gospel Fellowship in Bensenville, Ill. “The idea that the gun is evil – that’s a myth that’s been perpetrated by the left. It’s sad to me as a pastor to see that.”
Kirkwood said he has been disturbed by a series of incidents involving school children punished for playing cops and robbers, a student who was punished for chewing his pop tart into the shape of a gun, and a boy whose cupcakes were confiscated because they were decorated with plastic green army men.
“The one that really got to me was the cupcake story,” Kirkwood said. “Political correctness is the bonfire of the sanities.”
“To make a decision like that – in the midst of a war – that’s a 1960’s hippy ‘spit on our returning soldiers’ kind of decision,” he said, referring to the cupcake confiscation. “That really burned me up.”
And when he saw a story about a St. Louis-area church that sponsored a toy-gun buy-back program – Pastor Kirkwood decided to spring into action.
The Illinois pastor decided to spend two Sundays preaching about what the Bible says about gun ownership.
“I sent out lesson plans to my Sunday school teachers to talk about the Biblical perspective for self-protection and to answer the critical questions – should a Christian own a gun? Should a Christian be a pacifist,” Kirkwood said.
“As with many of our founding documents – there are biblical underpinnings for them,” he said. “We talked about the biblical perspective on the value of life and the duty and the directives in Scripture that call us to defend life.”
And the church also had some fun with Second Amendment Sunday. The children participated in games – including a pop-tart eating contest.
“The child who chewed the pop tart into the best looking firearm won a prize,” the pastor said.
The winners received toy guns.
They also had treats – like “combat cupcakes” – decorated with plastic green Army men – and a chocolate cake decorated with a large edible chocolate Glock.
“The cake was to honor our veterans,” he said. “We are a church that supports our troops. We have a corner of the church where we post pictures of church members who are serving the nation. There’s a sign that reads ‘Blessed are the Peacemakers.’”
Kirkwood said he is proud to be a church that preaches God and country.
“I actually believe in peace through strength and I believe that is a Biblical value – not just Ronald Reagan’s,” he said.
Pastor Kirkwood said he was inspired to dedicate pulpit time to the issue after reading a column written by Doug Giles – titled “Christian Parents Should Have Their Kids Play with Guns.”
“I just think all this recent political correctness is ridiculous,” he said. “I’m hoping to stand on the wall and blow the shofar for pastors around me that are sitting this one out.”
More Contributions Today From TheBlaze:
- Reporter Uses Logic of the Left’s Gun Control Argument to Stump Dem Rep. on Abortion 374 Comments
- Was Justice Roberts Intimidated Into Voting for ‘ObamaCare’? Senator Mike Lee Presents the Evidence 291 Comments
- ‘KKK-Type of Intimidation’: Kansas Sec. of State Targeted by Mob Asking Prosecutors to Consider Using ‘Klan Laws’ 259 Comments
- Wild Video: Alleged Teacher Goes Ballistic, Beats Christian Ministry Workers With Her Purse Following Church vs. State Debate 258 Comments
- How Angry Would You Be if You and Your Family Got This Receipt from a Restaurant? 251 Comments
Find TheBlaze on your TV
TheBlaze is available on channel .
Spread the word!
If you can't find TheBlaze, please call to upgrade your package
Unfortunately, TheBlaze is not available on .
But you can help! Call at or press CONTINUE to email your provider and urge them to add TheBlaze to your channel lineup.
But you can help! Press CONTINUE to email your provider and urge them to add TheBlaze to your channel lineup.Continue
Please complete the form
Thank you for supporting TheBlaze
Interested in doing more? Spread the word about TheBlaze to your friends and family.
Spread the word!
- Michele Bachmann’s special message to ‘liberals’ – she’ll be here a long, long, long (she said it nine times) long time.
- If the Boston bomber is a ‘victim’ of gun violence…
- Check it out: ‘A Fresh Breath of Farm Air’ (a Fresh Prince parody)
- A picture is worth 1,000 words: How do you advertise morality?
- Video: Allen West talks 2016 primary challenge against Rubio
- Wooden beam could be detached part of shipwreck
- Mueller: FBI uses drones for surveillance
- Bulger, Gandolfini: Mob makes headlines this week
- Bulger to Soprano: Mob makes headlines this week
- China's Xi harks back to Mao in party 'cleanup'
- GAO says airline merger would reduce competition
- Compromise among senators eyed on border security
- 10 Things to Know for Thursday