‘Us’ Vs. ‘Them’
Last night, Michelle Obama took the stage and delivered a speech meant to rally the Democratic faithful and to humanize her husband. After nearly four years of his presidency, it does seem odd that she still has to humanize him. That’s usually something that more unknown challengers must do. But the perception of Obama as an aloof, distant, egotistical narcissist has been growing, so Michelle was dispatched to paint a warmer picture of him. If Team Obama is worried about THAT at this late hour—as well as worrying about their base—they know they’re in trouble.
For what it was, Michelle’s speech was solid, and she certainly knows how to deliver. It was a home run, the same way Ann Romney’s speech was a home run last week. But one short paragraph has become the definitive theme of the speech, because it rings so outrageously false. She said, “I love that for Barack, there is no such thing as ‘us’ and ‘them’ — he doesn’t care whether you’re a Democrat, a Republican, or none of the above. He knows that we all love our country. And he’s always ready to listen to good ideas. He’s always looking for the very best in everyone he meets.”
Team Obama may actually see things that way, but it’s extremely detached from reality.
The ONLY thing Obama has done since taking office is divide on the basis of ”us” vs. “them.” He and his team have divided Americans by class (by incessantly slamming the “1%,” “millionaires and billionaires,” commanding them to do their “fair share,” etc).
He has divided by race (see Joe Biden’s recent comment, “They’re gonna put y’all back in chains”).
He has divided by age (attempting to scare seniors by falsely and dishonestly suggesting that the Republicans’ Medicare reforms would toss grandma off the cliff, and by giving away the store to college kids on student loans).
And he has divided by gender (ginning up a completely bogus GOP “war on women.”)
As far as Michelle’s comment that Obama “doesn’t care whether you’re a Democrat, a Republican, or none of the above,” and “he’s always ready to listen to good ideas…,” Obama hasn’t met with the GOP in over a year, scolded them on Day One of his presidency with “I won,” told a Democrat who had voted against the stimulus, “Don’t think we’re not keeping score, brother,” and once referred to “punishing our enemies.” Not exactly the warm n’ fuzzy Barack Michelle was desperately trying to paint.
And as far as “listening to good ideas,” he blew off his own deficit reduction commission, Simpson-Bowles, as well as Paul Ryan’s budget reform ideas and disregarded moderate Democrats’ ideas to carry out health reform more slowly and with GOP buy-in (see: defeated Arkansas Senator Blanche Lincoln and her pleas to Obama, which fell on deaf ears).
So: Michelle can try all she wants to resurrect Obama’s 2004 image of a guy who said “there’s not a red America or a blue America,” and she and other Democrats can try to invoke his 2008 image of the transcendent guy sitting above petty politicking and business-as-usual. But after nearly four years of division, distraction, and destruction, not many people are buying that sales pitch anymore. It’s old, it’s tired, and like his radical redistributionism, it’s done.
- Reporter Uses Logic of the Left’s Gun Control Argument to Stump Dem Rep. on Abortion 369 Comments
- Was Justice Roberts Intimidated Into Voting for ‘ObamaCare’? Senator Mike Lee Presents the Evidence 288 Comments
- ‘KKK-Type of Intimidation’: Kansas Sec. of State Targeted by Mob Asking Prosecutors to Consider Using ‘Klan Laws’ 257 Comments
- How Angry Would You Be if You and Your Family Got This Receipt from a Restaurant? 249 Comments
- Wild Video: Alleged Teacher Goes Ballistic, Beats Christian Ministry Workers With Her Purse Following Church vs. State Debate 249 Comments
Find TheBlaze on your TV
TheBlaze is available on channel .
Spread the word!
If you can't find TheBlaze, please call to upgrade your package
Unfortunately, TheBlaze is not available on .
But you can help! Call at or press CONTINUE to email your provider and urge them to add TheBlaze to your channel lineup.
But you can help! Press CONTINUE to email your provider and urge them to add TheBlaze to your channel lineup.Continue
Please complete the form
Thank you for supporting TheBlaze
Interested in doing more? Spread the word about TheBlaze to your friends and family.
Spread the word!
- Michele Bachmann’s special message to ‘liberals’ – she’ll be here a long, long, long (she said it nine times) long time.
- If the Boston bomber is a ‘victim’ of gun violence…
- Check it out: ‘A Fresh Breath of Farm Air’ (a Fresh Prince parody)
- A picture is worth 1,000 words: How do you advertise morality?
- Video: Allen West talks 2016 primary challenge against Rubio
- 10 Things to Know for Thursday
- Social network gaffes plague Japanese politicians
- Body found near Patriot's home was homicide victim
- Cops: Disabled Pa. man dies after gruesome neglect
- Floods strand pilgrims in India, deaths could rise
- Compromise among senators eyed on border security
- China's Xi harks back to Mao in party 'cleanup'
- Actor James Gandolfini dies in Italy at age 51