‘Saturday Night Live’ writer suspended for tweet about 10-year-old Barron Trump

‘Saturday Night Live’ writer suspended for tweet about 10-year-old Barron Trump
President Donald Trump waves to supporters as he walks the parade route with first lady Melania Trump and son Barron Trump after being sworn in at the 58th Presidential Inauguration Jan. 20, 2017 in Washington, D.C. (Evan Vucci/Getty Images)

NBC has suspended “Saturday Night Live” writer Katie Rich over a widely condemned tweet about Barron Trump, the Washington Post reported Monday.

TheBlaze previously reported that following President Donald Trump’s inauguration on Friday, Rich tweeted that his 10-year-old son “will be this country’s first homeschool shooter.”

“A person familiar with the situation” said Rich “has been suspended indefinitely” from the program, according to the Post.

An internet controversy immediately followed the tweet.

Many on social media users defended the president’s youngest son, including former first daughter Chelsea Clinton, whose mother Hillary Clinton was Trump’s Democratic rival for the presidency.

Some members of the media said the joke crossed a line.

Rich, who deactivated her account during the controversy, restored it to tweet an apology.

An online petition calling for Rich’s firing garnered more than 84,000 signatures.

154 Comments