After two years on HLN, Joy Behar’s talk show will be cancelled come the end of the year, the network announced Thursday.
“I am very proud of the show that we created at HLN and I owe tremendous thanks to the show team who made it possible,” Behar said in a statement.
The NY Daily News adds:
HLN general manager Scot Safon said, "Joy and her team produced over 500 episodes of a show that featured news-making interviews, great conversation and plenty of humor. We thank Joy for the many memorable moments she gave the HLN audience."
The final episode of “The Joy Behar Show” will air in mid-December, with the 10 p.m. time slot being replaced by one of HLN’s current programs.
So far, reports do not indicate the reason given for canceling Behar's show, though often poor ratings or lack of willing sponsors factor into the equation.
Whatever the reason, some in the media, like Fox News host Bill O'Reilly think the decision to cancel Behar's show was right. Using a clip of actress Ellen Barkin blasting Fox News and O'Reilly on Behar's program, "The Factor" host blasted:
Well, here’s the problem with Ms. Barkin’s statement: It’s a flat-out lie. I have never mentioned Ellen Barkin on this broadcast. Ever. And I would never call her names.
Now. We know Ms. Behar. We know what she does. And today HLN announced she will no longer be doing it on that network; her show is finished at the end of the year. But the Headline News operation — and CNN, which is the parent company have an obligation not to allow blatant lies on their air, and to challenge statements that are provocative, like that one.
Watch the clip below, courtesy of Mediaite: