(The Blaze/AP) – Prayers were answered Monday as the head of Egyptian security in North Sinai and the kidnapper say two Americans and their Egyptian tour guide, abducted four days ago, have been released.
Gen. Ahmed Bakr, head of security in North Sinai, says the three were now in the protection of Egyptian security officials in Sinai.
The kidnapper, Jirmy Abu-Masuh, says he freed them Monday after officials promised they would work on releasing his uncle from prison. He previously had threatened to kill his hostages if police refused to release his relative.
He told The Associated Press by telephone after releasing the Americans that he wanted to grant them mercy, because they had nothing to do with his dispute with police.
Rev. Michel Louis, a 61-year-old pastor from Boston, a 39-year-old American woman identified as Lissa Alphonse by CBS affiliate WBZ Boston and their Egyptian guide were taken off a bus road between Cairo and Mount Sinai in broad daylight on Friday while on a church trip.
Fox News reports a senior U.S. official said Secretary of State Hillary Clinton brought up the case when she met with Egypt's leaders in Cairo on Saturday.