Try BlazeTV for Free
News

Report: Libya Consulate Attack Possibly Led by Former Gitmo Detainee Released in 2007 by U.S.

On tonight's "Special Report," Fox News' Bret Baier reported that intelligence sources are confident that the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya was coordinated by al-Qaida. Further, the man who may have led the attack was released from the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay in 2007.

Fox News analyst Catherine Herridge reported that officials believe that Sufyan Ben Qumu was likely involved in the attack, and perhaps led the assault.

Qumu, a Libyan citizen, was cut loose from Guantanamo Bay in 2007 to be transferred to Libyan custody under the condition that he would be kept in jail, however, he obviously was not.

Referring to Qumu's "Gitmo files," Baier said he was also tied to 9/11 financiers and his alias is "found on a list of probable al-Qaida personnel receiving monthly stipends and family support."

"Yes, they were killed in the course of a terrorist attack on our embassy," Matt Olsen, director of the National Counterterrorism Center, said during a Senate hearing Wednesday.

However, Olsen's statement goes against claims made by White House Press Secretary Jay Carney and Susan Rice, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, who said the attack outside the consulate was spontaneous and not directed at United States foreign policy or the administration. Even on Wednesday, Carney still insisted that an anti-Muslim YouTube video sparked the unrest and said there is no evidence the attack was pre-planned.

"I made that clear last week, Ambassador Rice made that clear Sunday," Carney said at the daily White House press briefing.

Watch the segment via Fox News here:

One last thing…
Watch TheBlaze live and on demand on any device, anywhere, anytime.
try premium
Exclusive video
All Videos
Watch BlazeTV on your favorite device, anytime, anywhere.
Try BlazeTV for Free
Sponsored content
Daily News Highlights

Get the news that matters most delivered directly to your inbox.