President Barack Obama blew up Reddit when he hosted an "Ask me anything" (AMA) on the social forum (AMA's are a popular feature on the site). Monday afternoon (EST) into Tuesday morning Bill Gates was killing it on the website as well, but maybe with a little more laughter associated with his responses and the comments back to them.
Gates proving that it is in fact him answering the questions on Reddit. (Image: Imgur via Reddit)
The "I'm Bill Gates, co-chair of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, AMA" -- which we all know should read "I'm Bill Gates, richest American alive, AMA" -- has some rather light-hearted questions, among serious ones, and equally hilarious comments to the responses from the inventor/business tycoon/philanthropist/second richest man in the whole world.
The top question -- What is something that needs to be changed in the world, but money wont help? -- received this response from Gates:
It would be nice if all governments were as rational as the Nordic governments - reaching compromise and providing services broadly. The Economist had a nice special section on this last week. Africa governments have often been weak but you can't write a check to change that. Fortunately the average quality is going up. Mo Ibrahim tracks this in a great way. (http://www.moibrahimfoundation.org/IIAG/)
Interesting comments based on this response:
- Ponoru: Saying something positive about Scandinavia on reddit ensures upvotes.
- Dr_fish: I think just being Bill Gates ensures upvotes.
Another typical questions with a Gates-ish answer: What do you do for fun? I find it hard to fathom how someone like you can just disconnect. Disconnect from the emails, calls ,the media. All of it. What would be your definition of a chill and fun day?
- Plaguarist: Casually tours the LHC. The jealousy is strong.
- cgillett: Most people travel to Antarctica. Bill Gates tours it.
- skiingbeing: "I love bridge and garbage dumps". You, my good man, are the wealthiest old hobo I've ever seen.
- geoken: Remember how we went to the LHC last month, well today we're going to a garbage dump
- MsBananaHammock: As a child whose parents brought me to the landfill on a regular basis, I can honestly say I loved garbage dump day.
- I_WILL_REPLY: Garbage dump day is a very dangerous day.
- guy_from_sweden: "Dad, I'm booored" "Get in the car kids, we're going to Antarctica today!"
- Q: Since becoming wealthy, what's the cheapest thing that gives you the most pleasure? Gates: "Kids. Cheap cheeseburgers. Open Course Ware courses..." Q: Where are you acquiring these cheap kids from? Gates: The stork.
- Q: What type of computer are you using right now? Gates: "I am using a Perceptive Pixel display right now - huge Windows 8 touch whiteboard. These will come down in price over time and be pervasive..." Basically, this is how Gates responds to people on Twitter (below)
(Image: Imgur via Reddit)
- Q: Is Weezer still your favorite band? Gates: "Weezer.... Actually U2 is a favorite.. I keep waiting for Spinal Tap to go back on tour..."
- Q: "What do people give you for your birthday, given that you can buy anything you want?" Gates: "Free software. Just kidding. Books actually."
- Q: Can you still jump over chairs? Gates: "Less than I used to. It was part of exercise for snow skiing. I still ski but I am not as hard core..." Here's Gates jumping over a chair in the 1990s for Connie Chung:
- Q: Do you guys really use Bing? I mean seriously... Gates: "Seriously Bing is the better product at this point. Try the challenge. I am biased but the work to make Bing better has been amazing."
- Q: How did you feel about your portrayal in "Pirates of Silicon Valley"? Gates: "That portrayal was reasonably accurate...."