Watch LIVE

Tragic: 12-Year-Old Boy Dead Just Weeks After Suspected Bullying Attack


"There just wasn't a way to fix this."

Bailey O'Neill (Facebook)

GLENOLDEN, Pa. (TheBlaze/AP) -- A suburban Philadelphia school district is making extra counselors available to students a day after a sixth-grader was taken off life support following injuries suffered in a fight.

Family members say Bailey O'Neill died Sunday morning, a day after he turned 12. The sixth-grader suffered a concussion, broken nose and other injuries in a fight at Darby Township School on Jan. 10. Police said it was a "one-on-one altercation, which was caught on tape."

Doctors later put him in a medically induced coma after he began having seizures.

Bailey O'Neill (Facebook)

Bailey O'Neill (Facebook)

Bailey O'Neill (Facebook)

On Sunday, the following message was posted to the Building Hope for Bailey Facebook page:

I would like to thank everyone who has prayed and supported Bailey and his family!! Bailey has been the strongest toughest boy I know. He has fought this battle long and hard. There just wasn't a way to fix this. I wish I could say he will get better but I can't. Bailey has gone to be with god today

While O'Neill's family is convinced that he was bullied, school officials and police have "stopped short" of using the term, according to the Huffington Post.

Southeast Delco School District Superintendent Stephen D. Butz says the school sends its condolences to the boy's friends and family. He says additional counselors are being made available for students and staff.

Delaware County District Attorney Jack Whelan has been investigating what happened and whether O'Neill's alleged attackers will face charges. Messages left for Whelan and the boy's family weren't returned.

A fund has been set up in Bailey O'Neill's name and has raised more than $13,000, shattering its $3,000 goal. To donate to the fund, click here.

O'Neill's father, Rob, told WVPI-TV previously that his son was a victim of bullying:

Most recent
All Articles