Watch LIVE

American Airlines Back Online After Grounding All Flights Due to Computer Glitch


"Tensions are high."

(Photo: Tupungato /

American Airlines flights across the country are getting back up in the air after being grounded until just before 5 p.m. EDT because of computer problems. A few other air travel problems the day after the bombings of the Boston Marathon were experienced as well.

Earlier Tuesday afternoon, American Airlines stated that its reservation and booking system was offline, prompting it to asking the FAA to keep all planes on the ground until after 4 p.m. CT. The airline's system was back up just before their stated timeframe.

Here's a look at what the airline has said on its Twitter account:




Tracking service FlightAware says that as of mid-afternoon, American has canceled more than 700 flights and another 765 flights are delayed.

"Tensions are high. A lot of people are getting mad. I've seen several yelling at the American agents," said Julie Burch, a business-meeting speaker who was stuck at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport waiting for a flight to Denver. "Nobody can tell us anything."

Terry Anzur, a TV news consultant from Los Angeles who was also stranded at DFW, said American Airlines gate employees were doing everything the old-fashioned, manual way because their computers were useless.

"No one at the counter can do anything. They can't check people in," Anzur said. "The airline is at a dead halt." Some passengers are stuck on planes while others can't make reservations. But the airline said once back online, it will offer refunds and updated travel:

Passengers took to social media to flood the airline with complaints.

Some speculated it might be a hack of the system:

Neither American Airlines nor any hackers appear to have come forward to say it was a breach of system security.

In addition to American Airline's issues, New York's LaGuardia Airport and Boston Logan Airport experienced security incidents this morning.

LaGuardia, which was on heightened alert after Monday's bombing, was evacuated after a report of suspicious wiring.

Ron Marsico of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs the airport, says wires protruding from a fluorescent light fixture led someone to call authorities Tuesday morning. That prompted an evacuation of the upper level of the airport's central terminal building.

The main terminal was partially evacuated at about 10:30 a.m. and reopened about an hour later.

Logan Airport had an American Airlines plane destined for Chicago brought back to the gate early this morning after two men sitting apart began speaking Arabic to each other. MyFoxBoston reported marathon participants on the flight became concerned and the men were escorted from the plane. There were no further details available at the time.

In a separate case at Logan, officials requested inspection of a bag coming into Boston from Philadelphia when it landed. CBS Local out of Boston reported that the bag was not checked by security in Philadelphia.

A US Airways spokesman says the Transportation Safety Administration asked that Flight 1716 from Philadelphia be parked remotely when it landed and the baggage inspected. Passengers were taken to a building away from the terminal during the inspection while luggage was unloaded and screened.

The Associated Press contributed to this report. Featured image via Paulo Afonso /

Most recent
All Articles