Bloodstains at the main gate believed to be from one of the American staff members of the U.S. Consulate, after an attack that killed four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens on the night of Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2012, in Benghazi, Libya. (AP)
The attorney for one of the Benghazi whistleblowers told TheBlaze Radio that he has more people who want to come forward to testify.
Joseph diGenova, attorney for acting Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Counterterrorism Mark Thompson, did not specify how many new witnesses there were, but said they had been "on the ground" and "in the fight" during the September assault that left four Americans dead. Thompson was one of three whistleblowers who went before the House Oversight Committee on Wednesday.
"We've been contacted by some people on the ground who were there, who were in the fight, who want to come forward but who fear if they do they will never get contract work with the agency again," diGenova told TheBlaze Radio host Jay Severin on Thursday. "We are going to test the director of central intelligence's word [that those who testify will not be penalized]. If these people decide they want to come forward, the first thing we're going to do is go to the director's office and say here they are, how are you going to protect them?" (SCROLL for audio)
DiGenova suggested there are more hearings on Benghazi to come, saying lawmakers "crossed the Rubicon yesterday, there's no turning back" after Wednesday's congressional hearing.
New Revelations About Benghazi
More questions have been raised about security in Benghazi and the Obama administration's handling of the situation after multiple senior-level intelligence officials confirmed to TheBlaze that Libya was under an elevated threat warning effective Sept. 8, 2012 -- three days prior to the assault. The warning about a potential attack went out to all impacted embassies, personnel numbers were reduced and requests for additional security were made.
"Everyone in the intelligence community knew this attack was coming," one source said.
Additionally, a Sept. 10 conference call with senior intelligence officials discussed the warning and made sure diplomatic facilities in Tripoli and Benghazi were aware of the situation.
One source estimated that at least 1,000 intelligence and State Department employees knew of the warning.