Texas state Sen. Wendy Davis became an overnight sensation after she stood up for hours in front of the Texas Senate, filibustered and successfully helped in blocking pro-life legislation from passing (at least for now). Considering her rock star status among social liberals and her unpalatable relations with ideological enemies who oppose abortion, a pro-life group's letter of praise is certainly curious.
A description of the note posted by the group Online for Life at ThankWendy.com explains that the politician was a single mother at the age of 19. Despite having the odds stacked against her, Davis worked to get herself through school, receiving a law degree from Harvard and later landing herself in the Texas State Senate.
Screen shot from ThankWendy.com
"Wendy’s life serves as an example to women across the country facing an unplanned pregnancy and the possibility of single motherhood," the description explains. "Through her story we are reminded that, even in times of uncertainty and challenge, women can raise children and be wonderful examples of success."
Online for Life is calling for pro-life Americans to thank Davis for choosing to keep her child and for overcoming the many challenges that single mothers so regularly face. The organization plans to deliver the note to the state senator in an effort to provide her with encouragement.
State Sen. Wendy Davis (D-Ft. Worth) contemplates her 13-hour filibuster after the Democrats defeated the anti-abortion bill SB5, which was up for a vote on the last day of the legislative special session June 25, 2013 in Austin, Texas. A combination of Sen. Davis' filibuster and protests by reproductive rights advocates helped to ultimately defeat the controversial abortion legislation at midnight. Credit: Getty Images
The text of the letter, which pro-lifers are encouraged to sign, reads:
Dear Senator Davis,
As an American who believes that all life is valuable and should be protected, I thank you for having the courage to bear and raise your own child when social pressure and personal circumstances were against you.
Your actions thirty years ago remind us that courage, hard work, and grace can overcome challenges, for both mother and child.
- Today, I commit myself to helping the thousands of women across this nation who face unplanned pregnancies. Through the work of life-affirming pregnancy centers, community organizations and local churches, I will support these women in their time of need.
- I will encourage women in crisis pregnancies to follow the example you set when you gave your child the chance at life.
Thank you, Senator for demonstrating true courage and strength.
Sen. Wendy Davis, D- Fort Worth, speaks during a rally against abortion legislation, Monday, July 1, 2013, in Austin, Texas. The Texas Senate has convened for a new 30-day special session to take up contentious abortion restrictions bill and other issues. Credit: AP
This is a radically different approach than other pro-lifers are taking. Rather than criticizing Davis for her filibuster, Online for Life is praising her decision and highlighting that, regardless of where she stands on the Texas legislation, she has, herself, has stood for life in the past (see the letter in its entirety).
Other Must-Read Stories:
- 'God Is in Control': Ohio Kidnapping Victims Release Video Thanking the Public, Updating on Their Lives
- Gay Activists Launch Boycott Against Hollywood Movie Over Author's Traditional Marriage Views
- Have You Heard the Gay-Themed Country-Rock Song 'All-American Boy'?
- Fiery Pastor Who Infamously Prayed for Obama's Death Is Back: 'The Gov't Should Use the Death Penalty on...Homosexuals'
- See the Moving Flag-Raising That Opened Up the 'Man in the Moon' Show -- and Its Hidden Meaning