Watch LIVE

Snake Bite Victim Goes 'Numb' After Seeing Gigantic Hospital Bill

News

"...there were two fang marks with liquid coming out."

The woman was bitten by a snake while taking a picture off the side of a road. (Image: WRC-TV screenshot)

"I kind of went numb."

That was Jules Weiss's reaction to the massive $55,000 hospital bill she received after getting treatment for a snake bite, according to WRC-TV.

snake bite The woman was bitten by a snake while taking a picture off the side of a road. (Image: WRC-TV screenshot)

"I don't know if there's a way to process that," she told the local news outlet.

Weiss was bitten by a copperhead snake when she pulled off to the side of the George Washington Parkway in Virginia, just outside of D.C., to snap a picture of the scenery.

That's when she told WRC that she felt what she thought at first was a bee sting, but back in her car, she saw "there were two fang marks with liquid coming out." Soon thereafter her foot swelled and changed color.

The former EMT headed to the emergency room where she spent 18 hours receiving antivenom.

snake bite bill Without insurance, the snake bite treatment cost more than some major medical procedures, like a knee replacement. (Image: WRC-TV screenshot)

The hefty bill came as WRC reported Weiss' insurance had lapsed. The Maryland hospital where Weiss was treated told WRC that it costs $40,000 or more for the antivenom.

The treatment is so expensive because of the method by which venom first needs to be harvested from snakes, physically milking them for it. If you haven't seen TheBlaze's previous coverage of a video showing a snake being milked for venom -- and then showing what the venom does to blood -- check it out.

An alternative to expensive antivenoms, which might be especially useful if access to antivenom is impossible at the time, is a cheap kit that helps extract the venom.

Watch WRC-TV's report:

(H/T: Yahoo! News)

--

[related]

Most recent
All Articles