Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson announced on his Facebook page his family's "painful decision" to put down their puppy after he ate a mushroom in his yard.
According to WGN-TV, the mushroom that Brutus, a French bulldog puppy, ate while playing outside had lethal toxins that destroyed his liver and immune system. In his Facebook post, Johnson, 43, warned other dog owners of the hazards of mushrooms.
"What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil’ family members," he wrote.
Johnson said he and his girlfriend, Lauren Hashian, decided to take Brutus off life support late Tuesday night and he "held his lil’ paw as he was finally at peace."
Johnson also thanked the veterinarian staff for their care in his post.
Earlier this month, Johnson shared a photo on Instagram of himself holding Brutus and his other dog, Hobbs, after he jumped into a pool to rescue Brutus from drowning. In the photo posted Tuesday night, Johnson used the hashtag, "#WishICouldveSavedYouOneMoreTime."