Watch LIVE

Oregon Refuge Standoff Comes to Dramatic End as Final Occupier David Fry Surrenders (UPDATED)


"You're going to hell. Kill me. Get it over with,"

UPDATE: A live stream of a telephone call indicates that David Fry, the final Oregon wildlife refuge occupier, has surrendered to authorities.


BURNS, Ore. (TheBlaze/AP) -- A live stream of a telephone call indicates three of the four remaining occupiers of an Oregon wildlife refuge have surrendered, but one is refusing to budge.

The Oregonian reported David Fry saying he felt suicidal during the standoff and refused to surrender unless his grievances against the government are heard.

The FBI hasn't confirmed that the three surrendered, and the area was too far away for reporters at the scene to see.

Live audio from the tense situation was running throughout much of the ordeal (Warning: Strong language):

Fry, 27, of Blanchester, Ohio, sounded increasingly unraveled as he continually yelled, at times hysterically, at what he said was an FBI negotiator.

"You're going to hell. Kill me. Get it over with," he said. "We're innocent people camping at a public facility, and you're going to murder us.

"The only way we're leaving here is dead or without charges," Fry said, adding that armored vehicles surrounded their camp.

Fry says he "declares war against the federal government." The holdouts have been indicted with conspiracy to interfere with federal workers and have previously said they wanted assurances they won't face arrest.

He and three others were the last remnants of an armed group led by Ammon Bundy that seized the refuge on Jan. 2 to demand public lands be turned over to locals. The three others, who were all reportedly arrested, are Jeff Banta, 46, of Elko, Nevada; and married couple Sean Anderson, 48, and Sandy Anderson, 47, of Riggins, Idaho.

Cliven Bundy was also arrested charged with assault and conspiracy for the 2014 standoff near his Nevada ranch.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


Most recent
All Articles