Please verify

Blaze Media
Watch LIVE

Family of Murder Victim Furious After Video of Subway Stabbing Goes Viral


“This is not a game. This is not a show.”

Image source: WBBM-TV

The family of a Chicago woman who was stabbed to death Thursday on a public train was outraged by the public's response to the barbaric attack.

Plenty of witnesses were on the CTA Red Line train when the stabbing occurred. But instead of rushing to the victim's aid or chasing after the assailant, people posted photos and videos of the stabbing on social media.

“My sister was beautiful, gifted young lady. She didn’t deserve to go the way she did,” Lorel Hampton told WBBM-TV Friday. Lorel's sister, 25-year-old Jessica Hampton, was killed on the Red Line train.

Lorel told WBBM that she and her mother, who was too upset to speak to the media, were shocked and angered when they learned that images of Jessica's brutal murder were going viral on social media.

“This is not a game. This is not a show,” Lorel said.

Crisis responder Dawn Valenti told WBBM that the decision to post photos and videos of the attack online was “very hurtful” to the Hamptons, who learned about the attack on social media before they knew the victim was Jessica.

“They were looking at the pictures on Facebook that people were spreading, not knowing until 9 o’clock last night that that in fact was their loved one that they were looking at,” Valenti said.

After seeing the videos, the family began to wonder why no one tried to help Jessica.

“Everybody that was there taking pictures and shooting videos and stuff didn’t try to help her,” Lorel said.

Valenti said it is possible passengers might have tried to come to Jessica's aid during the attack. Witnesses told WBBM Thursday that they backed away after seeing the knife.

Police have said the attack appears to have stemmed from a domestic dispute that escalated into violent rage. The man who stabbed Jessica was taken into custody shortly after the attack.

The Chicago Tribune reported that Arthur S. Jones, 29, was charged with first-degree murder and denied bail during a bond hearing Saturday at the Leighton Criminal Court Building. Jones was admitted to St. Bernard Hospital later Thursday for a psychological evaluation, authorities said.

Most recent
All Articles