After word broke that award-winning Broadway performer Jennifer Holliday had decided to back out of performing at President-elect Donald Trump's inauguration next week, it was reported Saturday that opera tenor Andrea Bocelli also decided against performing after receiving death threats and not because he feared boycotts as was originally reported.
The Daily Mail reports:
When blind tenor Bocelli announced he would not sing at this Friday's celebration, it was widely reported it was because fans had said they would boycott his concerts and records.
But a source said the 58-year-old had been determined to 'press ahead' and sing but had pulled out on the advice of his security team after receiving threats to his life.
A source close to Bocelli, a friend of Trump's, said: 'Andrea is very sad to be missing the chance to sing at such a huge global event but he has been advised it is simply not worth the risk.'
Bocelli, who is blind, is a crossover Italian tenor who gained fame as an opera singer, but has also recorded pop albums. He has sold a total of 80 million records worldwide.
It was reported in December that Bocelli had decided against performing at the inauguration after approaching Trump and offering to perform. Trump, according to inaugural committee chairman Thomas J. Barrack Jr., told his friend it was not required and he would still be welcome at the White House.
Holliday pulled out after she received backlash online, particularly from her LGBT supporters.