What did they say?
Variety said that even though celebrity publicists are interested in booking their clients on various "Today" segments, Kelly's time block isn't one of them.
- "I literally haven't pitched anyone even from right out the gate," one publicist said, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "The buzz that is out there is so bad."
- Another publicist — speaking on behalf of a celebrity who has already appeared on the show — said, "I won’t plan to have others go on. None specifically have been offered or asked to, but it’ll be my preference not to."
- "I am in the middle at the moment, leaning towards not booking for now," a third publicist told Variety. "What I have seen so far hasn’t been great. I am open to see how she does and if there is improvement, then I would more likely book. I am just not sure what type of celeb interviewer she is. She’s awkward at the moment."
Why are publicists and insiders saying that Kelly's show is tanking?
According to one publicist, Fox News and President Donald Trump are to blame.
"I don’t even know if it’s as much her as it is Fox News," the publicist said. "Because she came from Fox News, she was set up for failure because the industry is so polarized now and no one wants to touch anything associated with Trump."
Another insider claimed that the "Today" franchise didn't seem to know what they were doing with Kelly's show.
The insider, who reportedly attended summer meetings held between "Megyn Kelly Today" producers and celebrity publicity firms, stated that the show's team did not seem to have a clear concept of Kelly's show, and could not pitch it accordingly. The insider said that few celebrities were interested in coming on a show whose concept wasn't as cut and dry as other daytime television shows like "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" and "Dr. Oz."
What has NBC said about the allegations?
A spokesperson for NBC told Variety that "Megyn Kelly Today" is not struggling to book celebrity guests.
- "We have celebrities booked for weeks and months to come," a network representative said.
- The rep added that stars like Goldie Hawn, Miles Teller, and Alec Baldwin are slated to appear on Kelly's show.