Please verify

Watch LIVE

Protesters converge on home of cop who fatally shot Antwon Rose: ‘Blue lives murder’

Image source: TheBlaze

Protesters demonstrated outside the home of East Pittsburgh Police Officer Michael Rosfeld on Wednesday night following news that he was charged with criminal homicide in the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Antwon Rose.

What's the background?

Rosfeld pulled over a vehicle on the evening of June 19 after it had reportedly been previously linked to a nonfatal drive-by shooting in another part of town.

Rosfeld then reportedly placed the vehicle’s driver in handcuffs, and around this time, 17-year-old Rose and another passenger fled from the traffic stop on foot.

According to reports, none of the suspects had opened fire on Rosfeld.

But Rosfeld reportedly shot Rose as he ran, striking him three times. The teen was taken to a nearby hospital, where he died.

After the incident, Allegheny County Police Superintendent Coleman McDonough said that Rosfeld was under investigation and was placed on leave, as per protocol.

The teen’s shooting death prompted days of protests.

Pennsylvania prosecutors charged Rosfeld with criminal homicide on Wednesday, according to court records.

According to the official criminal complaint, Rosfeld reportedly shot Antwon in the face, in the middle of his back, and in his right arm.

The complaint also said that Rosfeld had made inconsistent statements about whether he believed Rose was armed at the time of the fatal shooting.

According to Pennsylvania state code, “criminal homicide” is defined as a person “intentionally, knowingly, recklessly, or negligently [causing] the death of another human being.”

Rosfeld was arraigned on Wednesday morning. His bail was set at $250,000 and a preliminary hearing is slated on July 6.

What happened Wednesday night?

According to WTAE-TV, protesters demonstrated at Rosfeld's home in Verona, Pennsylvania.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that at least 30 demonstrators showed up at Rosfeld's residence, where they placed replicas of headstones on his property and hung a banner that read "Blue lives murder."

According to the Tribune-Review, the protesters chanted for 20 minutes and left as Penn Hills police looked on.

Protesters returned to Rosfeld's home later on Wednesday, and chanted "No justice, no peace," leaving shortly after 11 p.m.

During the protest, a video features a woman with a megaphone addressing the crowd.

“Get justice by any means necessary!” she shouted. “What you have done tonight is a victory.”

“You have let his neighbors know who he is,” the unidentified woman added. “This is just the beginning.”

The crowd began to shout, “Murderer! Murderer! We’re white and we’re black and we’ll be back! No justice, no peace, no racist police ... no officer can sleep!”

Before the crowd dispersed, the woman said, “Peace be with you – we’ll see you tomorrow.”

She then went on to address the police officers on patrol, adding, “And we’ll see you very soon.”

It is unclear whether Rosfeld was at home during the protest.

Most recent
All Articles