Eight people were shot during a dice game in San Bernardino, California. While none of the eight have been pronounced dead yet, a 17-year-old is in grave condition and two others are in extremely critical condition.
What do we know so far?
According to a press release from the San Bernardino Police Department, the incident occurred at around 10:45 p.m. PDT on Sunday. Officers in the area reported hearing multiple gunshots.
The victims were reportedly in the common area of an apartment complex, possibly playing a game involving dice.
While they were attempting to help the wounded, officers at the scene were confronted by what they described as a hostile crowd. The press release stated:
When officers arrived, they found multiple people with gunshot wounds, some of which were unresponsive. They attempted to apply first aid and called for medical aid to assist. During the attempts to administer first aid and coordinate medical, there was a hostile crowd that emerged from within the apartment complex. Officers requested the assistance of other agencies nearby with clearing the crowd.
"We had multiple victims down, it was a very chaotic scene," San Bernardino Police Capt. Richard Lawhead told reporters, KABC-TV reported. "The crowd was uncooperative. Units from multiple agencies responded to the call for assistance."
Lawhead, CNN reported, said the police were looking into the possibility of gang violence, but they had not concluded yet that this was the cause. Both handguns and rifles were used in the attack, but none of these weapons have been recovered.
It is unclear why the crowd was hostile toward the police, or if they had been involved in the attack itself.
The police report that except for the two critically injured adults and the gravely injured 17-year-old, none of the other victims had life threatening injuries and they are all expected to survive.