There are new developments in the Astroworld Festival tragedy that resulted in the death of eight people and saw 300 concert-goers injured. In the latest update, the victims are named, there is news that Travis Scott and Live Nation are being sued, and it is revealed that the Houston rapper has a history of chaos at his concerts.
The victims of the Astroworld tragedy
The youngest victim of the music festival turned deadly is 14-year-old John Hilgert, a ninth-grader who loved baseball.
Hilgert's baseball coach – Justin Higgs – wrote a tribute to the fallen boy.
He got the Call up to the Major Leagues by the Almighty! John made an impact on anyone who met him and they always remembered him. I have memories of John I'll never forget. You had to love the kid. No option not too cause he was who he was. He loved the game if baseball. Was a privilege to coach this young man. Many prayers go out to any of his friends, teammates, and his family… especially Ms. Hilgert. One of the nicest human beings I've ever met. John was an Angel the whole time I knew him… impacting others for good and he himself was a legend. The legend of John. Will meet again John. Till then watch over us my friend. Catcher, pitcher, shortstop, great kid. Lived his life to the fullest
Brianna Rodriguez – a 16-year-old junior at Houston's Heights High School – was also killed during the Astroworld Festival.
The GoFundMe campaign to pay for the funeral expenses of Rodriquez states:
Gone from our sites, but never from our hearts. It is with profound sadness we lay to rest our beloved Brianna Rodriguez. Brianna was one of the victims from the Astroworld event. She was a beautiful vibrant 16-year-old high school junior at Heights HS in Houston TX. Dancing was her passion and now she's dancing her way to heaven's pearly gates. Anything to help the family will be greatly appreciated.
Axel Acosta – who turned 21 last month – allegedly traveled from Washington to Texas to attend the Astroworld music festival at NRG Park on Friday.
"It was his first time going to an event like that," said his aunt Cynthia Acosta.
"By all accounts, Axel was a young man with a vibrant future. We are sending our condolences to his family on this very sad day," said Western Washington University vice president of enrollment and student services Melynda Huskey.
Franco Patino – a 21-year-old senior majoring in mechanical engineering technology with a minor in human movement biomechanics at the University of Dayton in Ohio – reportedly went to the concert to celebrate the birthday of his best friend, who also died at the Astroworld Festival.
Jacob Jurinek was a junior at Southern Illinois University, where he was pursuing his passion for art and media.
"We are all devastated and are left with a huge hole in our lives," said Jurinek's dad – Ron Jurinek. "Right now, we ask for the time and space for our family to process this tragic news and begin to heal. We're comforted by the fact that the hundreds of people Jake touched over the years will carry a piece of his spirit with them."
Rodolfo Angel Peña AKA Rudy Pena was a 23-year-old Texas native who was a student at Laredo College and wanted to be a Border Patrol agent.
"Rudy was a close friend of mine," said friend Stacey Sarmiento. "We met in high school. He was an athlete… He brought happiness anywhere he went. He was easy to get along with. It was like positive vibes from him at all times."
"We all came to have a good time … it was just horrible in there," she added.
Danish Baig was allegedly killed while trying to save his fiance during the concert that had an estimated 50,000 in attendance.
"He was [an] innocent young soul who would always put others before him. He was a hard-working man who loved his family and took care of us. He was there in a heartbeat for anything. He always had a solution to everything," Basil said of his 27-year-old brother.
His brother Basil Mirza Baig posted a tribute on Facebook.
My brother was killed in this horrendous astroworld event that was managed poorly and supervised by such horrible people. People were trampled, walked, and stomped on. My brother tried to save my sister in law from these horrendous acts that were being done to her in the process he lost his life. My brother Danish Baig a beautiful soul whos smile would light up the room and put everyone before himself. Last night he showed his courageous act to save my sister in law/his fiance from those horrendous things that were being done. I am lost of words and in true trauma from this event. I was there and i wasnt able to save my brother. People were hitting pushing and shoving and did not care for anyones life. Travis Scott provoked these people and made them do just that and more he called people to the stage to jump into the crowd and did not stop the show. Multiple people have lost their lives and my prayers go out to their losses. In this time of mourning and grief and such pain i would like everyone to pray for my family and my brother. This is not the end my family and i will go to the Full extent to make sure he is brought to justice.
"Travis Scott and his team and everyone associated in the event should and will be held responsible. He [didn't] stop the show even with people chanting and to stop the show. He allowed it this was a blood bath and all of it is on his hands," Basil said.
Travis Scott and the concert promoter are being sued
Travis Scott – whose real name is Jacques Webster – and the organizers of the Astroworld music festival are facing a lawsuit over the deadly concert. An injured concert-goer filed the lawsuit and called the deadly situation a "predictable and preventable tragedy."
In a petition filed Saturday in Harris County District Court, Astroworld attendee Manuel Souza sued Scott himself, as well as organizer ScoreMore and concert giant Live Nation, over the Friday night incident, which left eight dead and dozens more injured. The lawsuit claims the disaster was the direct result of "a motivation for profit at the expense of concertgoers' health and safety" and the "encouragement of violence." "Defendants failed to properly plan and conduct the concert in a safe manner," wrote Souza's attorney, Steve Kherkher of the firm Kherkher Garcia LLP. "Instead, they consciously ignored the extreme risks of harm to concertgoers, and, in some cases actively encouraged and fomented dangerous behaviors."
Travis Scott reacts to the Astroworld tragedy
Travis Scott – who founded the Astroworld Festival in 2018 – released a statement on the tragic concert.
"I'm absolutely devastated by what took place last night. My prayers go out to the families and all those impacted by what happened at Astroworld Festival. Houston PD has my total support as they continue to look into the tragic loss of life. I am committed to working together with the Houston community to heal and support the families in need. Thank you to Houston PD, Fire Department and NRG Park for their immediate response and support."
The rapper also sent out a video message on Instagram.
I just want to send out prayers to the ones that was lost last night. We're actually working right now to identify the families so we can help assist them through this tough time. You know, my fans really mean the world to me and I always just really want to leave them with a positive experience. And anytime I can make out anything that's going on, I'd stop the show and help them get the help they need, you know? I just could never imagine the severity of the situation. We've been working closely with everyone to just try to get to the bottom of this: the City of Houston, HPD, Fire Department, you know, everyone to help us figure this out. So if you have any information, please just contact the local authorities. Everybody continue to just keep your prayers. I mean, I'm honestly just devastated and I could never imagine anything like this just happening. I'm going to do everything I can to keep you guys updated, to keep you guys informed of what's going on. Love you all.
Video from the concert surfaces
Concert-goers tried to get the attention of a cameraman to stop the show because someone was in danger, but it was futile. Other fans were chanting, "Stop the show!"
(CAUTION: Graphic video)
The investigation continues, including reports of an injection attack
Houston police Chief Troy Finner said on Saturday that the investigation into the tragedy will include the homicide and narcotics divisions.
One security officer purportedly was pricked in the neck with a needle during the concert.
"We do have a report of a security officer... that he was reaching over to restrain or grab a citizen and he felt a prick in his neck," Chief Finner said.
"When he was examined he went unconscious," he added. "He was revived and the medical staff did notice a prick that was similar to a prick that you would get if somebody is trying to inject."
Travis Scott has a history of chaos at his concerts
In 2017, Scott pleaded guilty to a public disorder charge after he was accused of encouraging people to rush the stage at a concert in Arkansas. Scott reportedly paid nearly $7,000 to two people who were allegedly injured at the show.
The eight-time Grammy-nominated rapper was sentenced to one year of court supervision after pleading guilty to reckless conduct charges stemming from a 2015 incident in Chicago at the Lollapalooza music festival where he allegedly encouraged fans to vault security barricades.