© 2024 Blaze Media LLC. All rights reserved.
Police say several dozen young bystanders watched and recorded a fight that ended with a teenager being fatally stabbed
Image source: WPIX-TV screen capture

Police say several dozen young bystanders watched and recorded a fight that ended with a teenager being fatally stabbed

'They videoed his death instead of helping him'

Police in Nassau County, New York, revealed this week that as many as 70 students watched a fight that ended in a 16-year-old boy's death, with many of them recording the brutal event.

What happened?

On Monday, a group of teenagers started fighting near Oceanside High School in Oceanside, New York. But while fights between teenage boys may not be uncommon, this ended with one teen getting stabbed to death.

According to a news release from the Nassau County Police Department, 16-year-old Khasee Morris "did succumb to his injuries and was pronounced deceased by a hospital physician" after being "stabbed in the chest area." Another teenager, an unnamed 17-year-old male, was also hospitalized for "a broken arm and swelling to his head."

Tyler Flach, 18, was charged with second-degree murder. He was slated to be arraigned on Thursday

In a news conference Tuesday reported by CNN, Detective Lt. Stephen Fitzpatrick said that the fight was "prearranged" and was caused by a dispute over a "girl and a perception of who she might be dating or who she might be hanging out with at this time." Morris had reportedly become friends with a girl, and another teenage boy had asked him to come to a strip mall to confront him about this.

Fitzpatrick said that at some point, "a group of six to seven males charged at the victim and his couple of friends, and during that melee, stabbed him."

As if that weren't bad enough, Fitzpatrick continued, "Kids stood here and didn't help Khaseen. They would rather video this event. They videoed his death instead of helping him."

According to WPIX-TV, Fitzpatrick said that the police had "identified several members of" the group that attacked Morris, and were "gathering evidence ready to arrest them."

A video from one of these bystanders shows several teenagers fighting, and one lying in the street with what looks like a broken arm. WPIX published part of the video, but the network's anchors said that it was "frankly so brutal, we can't show all of it."

The school responded

In a video posted on YouTube on Thursday, Oceanside School Superintendent Phyllis Harrington said that she learned of the stabbing from "a 1:40 a.m. phone call." She said that the school was doing "everything necessary to safeguard ... [the] well-being" of its students and staff.

9-18-19 OSD message from Dr. Harringtonyoutu.be

Want to leave a tip?

We answer to you. Help keep our content free of advertisers and big tech censorship by leaving a tip today.
Want to join the conversation?
Already a subscriber?