Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, who was recently hired as a CNN analyst, insisted Tuesday evening that he would not take a plea deal from the Department of Justice, if one was to be offered.
What's the background?
McCabe rose to acting director of the FBI after the removal of former FBI Director James Comey. However, he was fired by former Attorney General Jeff Sessions in March 2018. Comey claimed that this firing was ordered by Trump solely for political reasons. Trump had been critical of McCabe before his firing.
The next month, the DOJ's Office of Inspector General accused McCabe of leaking information to the media in an attempt to "advance his personal interest," and of lacking "candor" when he talked to investigators. The IG recommended that McCabe be indicted.
What did he say?
On Tuesday's edition of CNN's "Cuomo Prime Time," anchor Chris Cuomo asked McCabe if he'd take a deal if one was offered, "in order to go on with the rest of your life, if there is no big criminal attachment and you don't have to do any time or anything like that."
"Absolutely not. Under any circumstances," McCabe responded quickly. "Absolutely not, under any circumstances. Chris, I've said to you, from the very beginning, I absolutely reject that report because I never intentionally mislead anyone about anything. And I will not stand up and claim that I've done something that I didn't do. So it won't happen."
He also said if the Justice Department investigators "follow the facts and follow the law, I am confident that nothing will come of it."