New details are emerging about the the horrific video we posted earlier today showing a woman being brutally beaten by two others and then appearing to go into a violent seizure.
According to a statement by McDonald's, the incident occurred at a Baltimore, MD franchise. According the Baltimore Sun, police know who the attackers are -- and one of them is only 14. And according to someone alleged to have filmed the whole thing, the female victim is not a female.
"We are shocked by the video from a Baltimore franchised restaurant showing an assault," the statement, posted on the company's website, says.
"This incident is unacceptable, disturbing and troubling. McDonald’s strives to be a safe, welcoming environment for everyone who visits. Nothing is more important to us than the safety of customers and employees in our restaurants. We are working with the franchisee and the local authorities to investigate this matter. We are doing everything possible to make sure the right thing is done." (The last sentence was added by McDonald's after it published its initial statement.)
According to the Baltimore Sun, police are investigating the incident. So far, they have charged one 14-year-old in the attack:
The attack occurred April 18 in the 6300 block of Kenwood Ave., in Rosedale, county police said. Police said a 14-year-old girl had been charged as a juvenile, while charges were pending against an 18-year-old woman. Police said the incident "remains under investigation and the state's attorney's office is reviewing the case."
The police identified the victim as a 22-year-old woman who suffered cuts to her mouth and face. According to a police report obtained by the Sun, she is in "fair" condition.
However, the website The Smoking Gun has uncovered a very odd claim. According to the site, the person who filmed the video was in fact a McDonald's employee named Charm Hackett. But, he says, the victim was not a woman:
Hackett did not respond to the site's request for comment.
Still, police have not indicated that to be true, and have referred to the victim as female. The Sun reports that in the police report even one of the attackers indicated the fight was "with a woman over using a bathroom."
According to State's Attorney for Baltimore County Scott D. Shellenberger, the attackers could face hate crime charges.
"We just received this case, and the police department is continuing their investigation," Shellenberger told the Sun. "If there is evidence that the crime was racially motivated, we will take a look at those charges and see if we meet those elements. We have the ability, if the facts are there, to upgrade the charges at a later date."
You can view the original video here.
This story has been updated with new information. Check back for more updates later.