Contrary to earlier claims by a group called the "Global Helpers of Jihad," it appears that both of the attacks in Norway Friday were carried out by a homegrown terrorist, seemingly unrelated to global Islamic terrorism.
The shooter has since been identified by Norwegian national press as 32-year-old Anders Behring Breivik. As of Friday evening ET, police had not released any information about Breivik's possible motives for the attack that has left more than 80 people dead.
Newly released video from NRK captured the moments police stormed Utoya Island to apprehend the armed suspect who had opened fire. Police have yet to release his identity:
Reports from the New York Times suggest al-Qaeda is indeed behind the attacks in Norway. In addition, further reports from eyewitnesses say armed perpetrator arrived at Utoya Island and gained access to the youth camp by claiming to be performing a precautionary security check following the bomb blasts in Oslo. Eyewitnesses also report seeing numerous bodies on the island's shores following the shooting, with up to 25 dead. The gunman reportedly opened fire on young victims running to hide in trees and trying to swim away from the island to escape his hail of bullets.
This picture captured from NRK's news helicopter shows young people who had taken refuge in the waters off the island:
Norwegian Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Store met with the young Labour Party activists at the camp just hours before the attack. This picture of the event was posted to the Flickr account of the Norwegian Worker's Youth League:
Police have released zero information about who could be behind the Norway attacks, but some jihadists are claiming credit.
Flash from Reuters news service suggests police are worried there may be explosives planted at youth camp.
AFP reports that there has been at least one arrest made in today's shooting at the Labour Party youth camp.
Police say they believe the attacks in Oslo and Utoya are connected.
OSLO, Norway (AP/The Blaze) -- Police say they are sending anti-terror police to a youth camp outside Oslo after reports of a shooting there following the bomb blast at the government headquarters.
The news site VG reported that a man dressed in a police uniform opened fire at the camp. It says several people have been killed.
Oslo police chief Anstein Gjengdal said anti-terror units were being sent to the camp at Utoya Island, outside the Norwegian capital.
He had no other information on that incident, which came hours after a bomb blast outside the government headquarters killed at least two people and injured 15.
AFP reports police say Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg had been due to attend a rally of his Labour Party's youth section on the island of Utoya where the gunman reportedly opened fire.
The shooting incident comes just hours after a powerful bomb tore through the Norwegian capital on Friday, killing at least two people and injuring 15. It was the deadliest bombing ever in Oslo, normally associated with the Nobel Peace Prize that is awarded there.
Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg was working at home Friday and was unharmed, according to senior adviser Oivind Ostang.
[youtube http://www.youtube.com/v/0oAPNDMwv1I?version=3&hl=en_US expand=1]
The square where the bomb exploded was covered in twisted metal and shattered glass, and carpeted in documents expelled from the surrounding buildings, which house government offices and the headquarters of some of Norway's leading newspapers. Most of the windows were shattered in the 20-floor high rise where the prime minister and his administration works.
Oslo police said the explosion was caused by "one or more" bombs, but declined to speculate on who was behind the attack. They later sealed off the nearby offices of broadcaster TV 2 after discovering a suspicious package.
"So far, police cannot say anything about the scope of the damage, aside from that there's been one or several explosions," a police statement read.
This is a breaking story -- details will be updated as they become available...