FOR RSS

Olympic Torch Goes Out During Relay -- and Check Out the Scramble to Relight It

LONDON (AP) -- Organizers say the Olympic torch was briefly snuffed out during the relay leading up to the London 2012 Games.

The torch was attached Monday morning to the side of Para-badminton player David Follett's wheelchair in the western England town of Great Torrington when the flame went out.

The London Organizing Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games said the flame went out due to a malfunctioning burner.

Such occurrences are fairly common and organizers keep a "mother flame" in a protective lantern just in case.

Follet, who uses a wheelchair after being injured in a car accident at 19, was given a replacement torch and the relay continued.

It is traveling 8,000 miles (12,875 kilometers) around the U.K., with a stopover in Ireland.

One last thing…
Watch TheBlaze live and on demand on any device, anywhere, anytime.
try premium
Exclusive video
All Videos
Watch BlazeTV on your favorite device, anytime, anywhere.
Try BlazeTV for Free
Sponsored content
Daily News Highlights

Get the news that matters most delivered directly to your inbox.