Rupert Murdoch, the CEO and founder of News Corporation, has inspired a great deal of curiosity since he first launched his Twitter account. However, the business mogul created a new-found media buzz this weekend when he took to Twitter to weigh in on the Tom Cruise-Katie Holmes divorce. Aside from merely commenting on the end of the celebrity marriage, he also delved into his negative views on Scientology.
"Scientology back in news," he wrote. "Very weird cult, but big, big money with Tom Cruise either number two or three in hierarchy."
A follow-up tweet was even more hard-hitting:
Naturally, these messages, sent on Sunday, spawned a massive response from the Twitterverse. From agreement to fury, people weighed in and the media mogul hunkered down. About four and a half hours after sending the first tweet, it seems Murdoch was aware of the firestorm he had caused. But, he seemed adamant about sticking to his story.
Twitchy did an excellent job capturing some of the best initial responses. Some of the tweets are so entertaining, we wanted to share them with you. Considering that Murdoch is a controversial figure who often creates debate and sits at the center of drama -- and considering Scientology's social standing -- some people seemed reluctant to support either side. Nonetheless, here are seven of the best -- or most interesting -- reactions to the controversy:
1) Here's one tweet joking about the drama and likening it to a Super Bowl with two teams that aren't likable enough to root for:
2) Even anonymous got in on the debate, also seemingly unable to pick a contender:
3) One person ventured to call both sides of the drama "evil":
4) Slate's Dave Weigel refrained from delving too deeply into the fray, but he did state how excited he is to see the two sides sparring:
5) Not everyone found him or herself unable to take sides. Some were vocally supportive of Murdoch's stance. Take, for instance, this Twitter user:
6) British columnist Caitlin Moran weighed in as well, citing the epic nature of the battle at hand:
7) Some, who clearly disagree with Murdoch for reasons unknown, couldn't even stomach their own support for the tweets:
And that's just some of the reaction. There's more going on here.