Please verify

Blaze Media
Watch LIVE

Gunfire Interrupts Live Local News Video...and Wait Until You See the Reporter's Reaction


"Something has occurred as we were speaking live on air."

KENS 5 reporter Marvin Hurst (Image: KENS 5 screenshot)

At the sound of gunfire, it might be someone's natural reaction to duck and cover. Not for KENS 5 reporter Marvin Hurst in San Antonio, though. In fact, he didn't even seem to flinch.

KENS 5 reporter Marvin Hurst (Image: KENS 5 screenshot)

Hurst was conducting a live report in front of a home early Monday morning where the local SWAT team was holding a standoff with a man suspected to be armed and who had assaulted a woman earlier.

Hurst details the events that unfolded through the early morning leading to the 4-hour-long standoff, according to KENS. Then in the still dark morning hours the sound of rapid fire rips through the air. The camera quickly pans away from Hurst toward the house.

Amazingly, Hurst doesn't seem fazed. Without even changing his tone, Hurst continues with the report.

"As you can hear in the background as this situation is going on that was gunfire of some sort," Hurst calmly said. "Something has occurred as we were speaking live on air."

Watch the report and hear the gunfire:

After he finishes up his briefing, one of the station anchors asks Hurst if he heard any yelling before the shots were fired. Hurst said he was focused on giving his report and that he didn't hear anything prior to the gunfire.

According to KENS, members of the SWAT team shot and killed the suspect, later identified as 31-year-old Jimmy Garza, Jr.

Here's more of the back story leading up to the standoff from KENS:

The standoff all started as an assault against an ex-girlfriend and an elaborate plan to cover up the abuse. The 34-year-old ex-girlfriend is a Bexar County probation officer.

The woman told officers she had recently broken up with Garza and moved out of his house after eight months. On Sunday night, she met him at a bar and had agreed to go home with him.

According to a police report, Garza began hitting her as they drove away. He then stopped the car, forced handcuffs on her wrists and continued beating her.

The woman told police that Garza dragged her into his home and threatened to shoot her with a handgun.

Bleeding profusely, the woman convinced Garza that she need to go to a hospital. McManus said that's when the suspect came up with the idea to crash his white SUV as a way to explain the woman's injuries. The woman, however, also convinced Garza that she didn't need to be in the actual the crash.

"And once the car was crashed, she took off," McManus said.

(Image: KENS 5 screenshot)

The woman was helped by the owner of a home she ran to and was treated at a local hospital. Garza on the other hand ran into his home, which is where the standoff took place.

San Antonio police Chief William McManus told KENS the team thought at one point Garza would surrender, but when he rushed out of the house, gun in hand, officers opened fire.

This story has been updated to correct a typo. 

(H/T: Media Bistro)

Most recent

Brooke Shields reveals she was raped by a Hollywood insider: 'Stay alive and get out'

Doctor tells Canadian state media that after flu season comes 'stroke season'

All Articles