LOS ANGELES (TheBlaze/AP) -- A 9-year-old girl crawled out of a mangled SUV, climbed out of a canyon and walked about a mile in the middle of the night to find help after surviving a highway crash that killed her father in Southern California, authorities said.
The 2010 Ford Escape was launched about 200 feet down an embankment along a semi-rural stretch of the Sierra Highway in Acton about 1 a.m. Sunday, said California Highway Patrol Officer Cheyenne Quesada. The vehicle overturned several times.
The girl, whom CBS Los Angeles identifies as Celia Renteria, managed to extricate herself and walk through rugged terrain to a nearby home, but nobody answered the door, the CHP said. Then she hiked up the steep embankment and along the road to a commuter rail station where she flagged down a passing motorist at about 2:30 a.m.
"She walked quite a distance in a very, very threatening environment. It's very black out there, very dark," CHP Sgt. Tom Lackey told KABC-TV. "It's very steep and it's brushy and there's also coyotes in the background."
Responding officers found a man in his 30s had been killed, Quesada said. Initially, his name was not released but officials said he was from Los Angeles. Later, CBS identified him as Alejandro Renteria.
A helicopter transported the girl to Children's Hospital Los Angeles. She was treated for minor injuries including bumps and bruises and a cut on her face.
Television footage showed crews extricating the severely damaged black SUV from the canyon.
The CHP is investigating whether alcohol played a role in the crash.
Other Must-Read Stories:
- ‘You’re a Nasty Piece of Work, Aren’t You?’: The BBC’s Insanely Awkward & Hard-Hitting Interview with London’s Mayor
- Pro-Life Icon Details Escape From Planned Parenthood and the Abortion Industry — and Here’s How She’s Helping Others do the Same
- CBS Apologizes to Veterans Following ‘Anti-American’ Episode of ‘The Amazing Race’
- Obama Doubles Down on Assault Weapons Ban: It Still Deserves a Vote
- Did Pope Francis Secretly Endorse Civil Unions for Gays?