Sam Sianis and his goat circa 1984 (Photo Credit: AP)
CHICAGO (TheBlaze/AP) -- Goats that previously appeared at Chicago's Wrigley Field were alive and kicking.
But not Wednesday, when a goat's head was left in a box outside the home of the Cubs. The box, a creepy gesture, to say the least, was addressed to team chairman Tom Ricketts.
Ricketts is currently in negotiations with city officials and neighborhood business people about the $300 million renovation of Wrigley Field.
Cubs spokesman Julian Green says staff at Wrigley Field discovered the package and immediately called police.
Chicago police spokesman Officer Veejay Zala says Chicago police responded to a call around 2:30 p.m. indicating an "intimidating package" had been received. Zala would not elaborate, saying police are investigating.
Chicago legend says a restaurant owner allegedly cursed the Cubs when they wouldn't let his pet goat into Wrigley Field. CNN has more:
While the delivery -- confirmed by the Cubs and caught on surveillance footage -- was certainly offensive, it's nothing new.
Local media have reported shenanigans with dead goats in the past. They may have been efforts to reverse the curse.
Billy goats have struck mortal fear deep in the heart of an inveterate Cubs fan since 1945, after Chicago tavern owner Bill "Billy Goat" Sianis pronounced a curse on the club on October 6 of that year -- just a month after the end of World War II.
Photo Credit: Billy Goat Tavern
But after he and his goat weren't allowed in (goats apparently weren't considered legitimate ticket holders) to the Cubs' game against the Detroit Tigers, Sianis put a curse on the team. And some say its record has never been the same sense (read the full story here).
Other Must-Read Stories:
- Colo. Sheriff Alleges Shock Training to TheBlaze: DHS-Bound Official Warned Against ‘Christians Who Take the Bible Literally’
- Colorado State Patrol Goes After Sheriff Who Alleged Anti-Christian Training Session: ‘He Misrepresented the Training Material’
- Is Joel Osteen Really Leaving the Christian Faith, Lambasting the Bible and Launching His Own Religion?
- Wash. State Suing Christian Florist After She Refuses to Provide Flowers for Gay Wedding
- Professor Under Investigation for Allegedly Forcing Students to Make Anti-Gun Posters