The man who was fired by Walmart after rushing to an aid of an 18-year-old woman being assaulted in a Michigan store's parking lot has rejected the company's offer to return to work.
Kristopher Oswald told the Livingston Daily Thursday he was afraid to return to work and said walmart had been "unwilling to compromise" when negotiating the terms of his returning to his job.
“The entire situation has left me with incredible anxiety,” the 30-year-old Oswald, who wants the company to issue a formal apology, said. “Wal-Mart feels it’s absolutely not their responsibility to help an associate harmed while on the clock. I have refused their offer to take my job back for fear of retaliation."
“They could not guarantee that nothing would happen from management if I did take my job,” he continued. “It’s a day-to-day struggle. I feel like if I say the wrong thing, I’m going to have a company coming after me.”
A Walmart spokeswoman, however, said Oswald has not notified the company about his decision and noted he is still allowed to go back to work.
“To this day, he’s still welcome back. I don’t think it has an expiration date,” spokeswoman Brooke Buchanan said, according to the Livingston Daily.
She reportedly added that Walmart has a "strict policy" that forbids retaliation and that the company would be "more than happy to address" Oswald's concerns before he heads back to work.
(H/T: Livingston Daily)
Follow Oliver Darcy (@oliverdarcy) on Twitter