Get BlazeTV

Tear Gas Fills Streets as Ferguson Braces for Second Midnight Curfew

“Based on the conditions, I had no alternative but to elevate the level of response."

Protesters and police clashed Sunday night on the streets of Ferguson, Missouri, as the town braced for a second midnight curfew.

The curfew was in effect until 5 a.m. Monday, as protests showed no sign of abating after the fatal shooting of unarmed teenager Michael Brown in the St. Louis suburb last weekend.

Saturday, the first night of a state-imposed curfew in Ferguson, ended with tear gas and seven arrests after police dressed in riot gear used armored vehicles to disperse defiant protesters. Sunday was much the same.

Content warning: Explicit language:

After marchers pushed toward one end of a street, police pushed them back by repeatedly firing tear gas; the streets were empty well before the curfew took effect at midnight.

Authorities said they were responding to reports of gunfire, looting, vandalism and protesters who hurled Molotov cocktails.

“Based on the conditions, I had no alternative but to elevate the level of response,” said Capt. Ron Johnson of the Missouri Highway Patrol, who is command in Ferguson.

At least two people wounded in shootings, he said.

UPDATE 11:06 p.m.: More from Jon Swaine:

UPDATE 10:59 p.m.: Some protesters threw Molotov cocktails toward officers before police shot tear gas toward them, CNN reported, citing St. Louis County police. CNN added that authorities hit one defiant protester with rubber bullets.

UPDATE 10:48 p.m.: More images and reports from Sunday night's activity in the streets from Jon Swaine of the Guardian:

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

This story has been updated.

One last thing…
Watch TheBlaze live and on demand on any device, anywhere, anytime.
try premium
Exclusive video
All Videos
Watch BlazeTV on your favorite device, anytime, anywhere.
Subscribe Now
Daily News Highlights

Get the news that matters most delivered directly to your inbox.