Watch LIVE

Man Goes on Crazy Spree Outside Dallas Police HQ, Shooting Up the Building, Ramming Cop Car and Planting Multiple Bombs (UPDATED)


strong>UPDATE 2:15 p.m. ET:

The suspect has been confirmed dead:

UPDATE 1:00 p.m. ET:

The suspect's vehicle has been detonated, and two more bombs were found inside:

UPDATE 12:10 p.m. ET:

While many outlets, including the AP, are reporting the supect's death as "confirmed," the Dallas PD is saying that is premature:

UPDATE 11:56 a.m. ET:

Police are about to deploy a water charge into the suspect's van to register any remaining explosive devices useless:


UPDATE 11:20 a.m. ET:

According to the Dallas PD Twitter account, officials believe it "likely that he [the suspect] is deceased."


UPDATE 11:00 a.m. ET:

According to WFAA-TV's Jason Whitely, the van used was a surplus vehicle from a Sheriff's office in South Carolina:


UPDATE 10:46 a.m. ET:

DPD Spokesman LtMax Geron updated the public on the number of suspicious packages:

UPDATE 10:36 a.m. ET:

According to an on-air report by WFAA-TV, James Boulware, the alleged suspect, recently broke into his brother's home and stole "guns, rifles, body armor and several boxes of ammunition."

The brother said Boulware "made threats saying that he was planning on shooting up schools and churches," according to the report.


UPDATE 10:30 a.m. ET:

Jason Whitely of WFAA-TV sent out pictures of the alleged van used in the attack. It was apparently just recently purchased:


UPDATE 10:22 a.m. ET:

Dallas Police spokesman Maj. Max Geron confirms the sniper shot hit the suspect:

UPDATE 10:00 a.m. ET:

The suspect's condition is unknown as he continues to be hold up in a van. It's possible, reports say, that he could have been mortally injured in the shootout with police. Dallas police Chief David Brown said a sniper did strike him with gunfire through the windshield in Hutchins, about 10 mile southesast of police headquarters where the shootout originally began, but they are unsure if he is deceased.

Hutchins is where the man ended up after fleeing the scene and heading south on I-45, a major freeway that leads from Dallas to Houston.

Brown said during a press conference that the man called 911 at one point before the ordeal began and went on a four minute rant.

Brown also said police snipers shot out the engine block of the man's van to disable the vehicle.

UPDATE 9:45 a.m. ET:

Dallas Police Chief David Brown said during a press conference that the cause for the man's escapade may be related to his child. The suspect apparently told a negotiator the police "took his child" and "accused him of being a terrorist."


UPDATE 9:30 a.m. ET:

From WFAA-TV, more information on the explosives:

Dallas police Chief David Brown said four suspicious bags were found outside the building. Two explosive devices were found and detonated, while the other two ended up being trash, according to Maj. Geron.

One bag exploded as a bomb squad robot tried to move it. Another explosive, found under a police vehicle, was detonated in a controlled explosion around 5:45 a.m. No officers were injured in the detonations, Geron said.


UPDATE 9:08 a.m. ET: Police said the shooting suspect told them his name is James Boulware.

James Boulware (Image source: Paris, Texas Police)

Here is a brief profile of him.

There may be additional shooting suspects.

UPDATE 8:51 a.m. ET: DALLAS (TheBlaze/AP) — Dallas officers shut down streets near police headquarters following gunfire targeting the multilevel building in a former warehouse district known for apartments, live music venues and restaurants.

No officers were hurt around 12:30 a.m. Saturday as one or possibly more people in an armored-style van began shooting at police headquarters, located in the southern part of Dallas. Some patrol cars had bullet holes in their windshields.

A standoff with the male suspect continued in the parking lot of a fast-food restaurant along Interstate 45 in Hutchins, just south of Dallas. Police negotiators were trying to get the man to surrender.

Dallas Area Rapid Transit suspended light rail service in the area at the request of police. Rail and also bus service was halted to the neighborhood including the Dallas Convention Center. Traffic was being diverted from a section of I-45 closed down amid the standoff.

Several tactical officers were seen walking outside police headquarters as dawn broke Saturday. Patrol cars with flashing lights remained on eerily empty streets that were closed amid the investigation.

Police said conflicting witness accounts make it difficult to immediately determine how many shooters were involved or a motive.

UPDATE 8:27 a.m. ET: Here's live video of the standoff:

Original story below

DALLAS (AP) — Multiple gunmen toting automatic weapons opened fire on officers outside Dallas Police headquarters early Saturday morning, before one man fled the scene being chased by police in what witnesses described as an armored van, according to Dallas Police Chief David Brown.

Here's cellphone video of what appears to be the shooting. (Content warning: audible profanity from witnesses):

Brown said during a news conference that the shootout began about 12:30 a.m. Saturday, when the suspects parked in front of the building located south of downtown and began firing. He said at least one of the suspects fled the scene in a van that rammed a police cruiser before leading police on a chase that ended in an ongoing standoff at parking lot in Hutchins, where additional gunfire was exchanged. Brown said the suspect driving the van has told officers that he blames police for losing custody of his son and "accusing him of being a terrorist." The gunman also said he had explosives in the van, which appeared to be outfitted with gun ports in the sides.

Brown said negotiations with that suspect and the SWAT unit are ongoing. No injuries were reported.

Brown said, based on witness accounts, as many as four suspects may have been involved in the original shooting, including some who may have been strategically positioned at elevated positions. Police could not immediately confirm how many shooters were involved and where any additional suspects may be located.

Meanwhile, Brown said police also found four bags outside police headquarters, including one that held a pipe bomb that later exploded. He said police were evacuating nearby residents as a precaution.

Brown said no motive for the shooting has been established.

This story has been updated.

Follow Dave Urbanski (@DaveVUrbanski) on Twitter

Most recent
All Articles