An anonymous U.S. congressman, said to be a Democrat, has penned a tell-all book in which he makes several “deeply disturbing” alleged confessions about the reality of the nation’s political system.
The book, “The Confessions of Congressman X,” is described by the publisher as a “devastating inside look at the dark side of Congress as revealed by one of its own.”
In addition to painting a dark picture of how lawmakers operate, the author also refers to American voters as "incredibly ignorant" and a "nation of naive, self-absorbed sheep who crave instant gratification."
Liberal news blog Political Wire reported the author is a “Democratic congressman.”
Read some of the excerpts from the book:
• "Most of my colleagues are dishonest career politicians who revel in the power and special-interest money that's lavished upon them."
• "My main job is to keep my job, to get reelected. It takes precedence over everything."
• "Voters are incredibly ignorant and know little about our form of government and how it works."
• "It's far easier than you think to manipulate a nation of naive, self-absorbed sheep who crave instant gratification."
• "Fundraising is so time consuming I seldom read any bills I vote on. Like many of my colleagues, I don't know how the legislation will be implemented, or what it'll cost."
• "We spend money we don't have and blithely mortgage the future with a wink and a nod. Screw the next generation. It's about getting credit now, lookin' good for the upcoming election."
The book comes out on May 24.