Get BlazeTV

Suspect in officer's shooting death is killed, police say

Law enforcement officers stand by command vehicles on East 52nd Street in Tacoma, Washington, early Thursday morning near the home where a Tacoma police officer was fatally shot Wednesday. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

SEATTLE (TheBlaze/AP) — The suspect in the fatal shooting of a Tacoma officer has been shot and killed by police after a lengthy barricade situation, authorities said early Thursday.

Pierce County Sheriff's Department spokesman Ed Troyer says the suspect was shot at approximately 3:30 a.m. Thursday, ending an 11-hour standoff. The suspect has not been identified.

Troyer says a girl and a boy, found unharmed, have been taken from the house. He says officers found multiple weapons in the house.

Earlier, the neighborhood had been locked down while officers from multiple agencies worked to bring about a peaceful resolution.

Before the standoff began, a Tacoma officer was shot multiple times while answering a domestic violence call Wednesday. Tacoma Police spokeswoman Loretta Cool said the officer was pronounced dead at the hospital after nightfall.

The officer has not been identified, but police said he was 45 years old and a 17-year veteran with the department, KIRO-TV reported.

"We've suffered a great loss and I think the community has suffered a great loss. I don't know how to put that into words," Cool said.

Law enforcement officers gather at Tacoma General Hospital, where a Tacoma police officer was taken after being shot while responding to a call Wednesday evening in Tacoma, Washington. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

After the death of the officer, a procession of law enforcement officers from around the region escorted the body from the hospital to the county medical examiner's office.

Motorcycle law enforcement officers lead a procession away from Tacoma General Hospital of an ambulance bearing the body of a Tacoma police officer who was shot and killed while answering a domestic violence call Wednesday in Tacoma, Washington. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

Cool said police responded to the home Wednesday afternoon in the 400 block of East 52nd Street and that shortly after arriving, officers called for backup.

Reacting to shots fired, arriving officers entered the home and managed to get the wounded officer outside and to a hospital, Cool said. She had said the officer had been undergoing surgery before the death was announced.

Pierce County Sheriff's Deputy Ed Troyer said during the standoff, the suspect was using the children in the house — an 8-year-old boy and an 11-year-old girl — as a shield and was making threats against the children, KIRO reported.

After SWAT officers got one child away from the suspect, Troyer said a Pierce County SWAT deputy fired one shot at the suspect that killed him, KIRO reported. Both children are safe and unhurt, police added to the station.

In a statement, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee said he and his wife Trudi were sending their thoughts and prayers to the family and loved ones of the officer: "All of Washington grieves with Tacoma, which tonight lost one of their finest. Our hearts are with the men and women of the Tacoma Police Department, their families, and their brothers and sisters in law enforcement across Washington."

One last thing…
Watch TheBlaze live and on demand on any device, anywhere, anytime.
try premium
Exclusive video
All Videos
Watch BlazeTV on your favorite device, anytime, anywhere.
Subscribe Now
Daily News Highlights

Get the news that matters most delivered directly to your inbox.