Watch LIVE

Canadian family makes horrifying discovery in ice cream carton

A family has made a horrifying discovery in their ice cream container. (Win McNamee/Getty Images)

A Canadian family had to get tested for HIV and hepatitis after they found a urinary catheter in their store-bought ice cream, according to the Canadian news outlet LaPresse.

The family, who resides in Trois-Rivières, Quebec, bought the ice cream from the local grocery store for a family celebration last weekend: The birth of a baby boy. They decided on Coaticook brand chocolate caramel pecan for the special occasion, but upon his first few bites, the family's patriarch and brand new grandfather Jean Francoeur felt something unfamiliar in his mouth before spitting out what appeared to be part of the catheter, with the syringe intact.

According to CBC News, the family also said there was something dark on the tip of the syringe, but they couldn't tell if it was caramel or blood

"He put it in his mouth and found the tip of syringe," said Carol-Ann Christofferson, Francoeur's daughter-in-law. "He's the worst off, the most affected. He's not even able to speak about it."

Though Carol-Ann and her husband Samuel, the newborn baby's parents, didn't bite into any foreign objects, they did eat some of the ice cream before Francoeur made the horrifying discovery.

The family called the local health line, who told the family they would have to go to the hospital and get tested for HIV, and hepatitis A, B, and C — immediately and continuously for the next six months.

The Coaticook ice cream company said it has launched an internal investigation to figure out what happened, but it hasn't received any other complaints of similar nature.

According to CBC, the company has also identified the lot number, which gives them the date the ice cream was manufactured so it will able to review surveillance video, but it isn't issuing a recall just yet.

"We have so many internal controls here and in food production in general that having something like that show up in a food item, it's not normal," said Coaticook owner Jean Provencher.




Most recent
All Articles