A gunman has opened fire at a church in Texas Sunday afternoon.
Here's what we know so far:
- The shooting happened at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, a small town southeast of San Antonio.
- According to Fox News, local officials have confirmed the incident, which they are calling a "mass shooting."
- Local news station KSAT-TV reported that witnesses saw a man walk into the church around 11:30 a.m. and begin shooting.
- KSAT also reported that the shooter is dead.
- Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton told Fox News that 27 people were murdered in the shooting. Multiple reports say that 30 others were injured. That would make Sunday's tragedy the deadliest church shooting in U.S. history.
- Reports on the scene said at least six helicopters flew victims away.
- The FBI and ATF are on the scene assisting local law enforcement with the investigation.
- About 50 people were in the church at the time, meaning half was murdered.
- According to My San Antonio, police are searching the home of the suspected killer for explosives.
Wilson County commissioner Larry Wiley told Fox News: "It is horrible. It appears someone walked in and started shooting."
Many people have noted that today's shooting occurred on the eight-year anniversary of the Ft. Hood shooting, an Islamic terror attack.
This is a breaking news story and will be updated as details become available.
How have officials responded?
President Donald Trump tweeted:
May God be w/ the people of Sutherland Springs, Texas. The FBI & law enforcement are on the scene. I am monitoring the situation from Japan.— Donald J. Trump (@Donald J. Trump) 1509912394.0
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) tweeted:
Our prayers are with all who were harmed by this evil act. Our thanks to law enforcement for their response. More d… https://t.co/NNHzJQ3BYk— Greg Abbott (@Greg Abbott) 1509909086.0
Texas Sen. Ted Cruz (R) said:
Keeping all harmed in Sutherland Springs in our prayers and grateful for our brave first responders on the scene.— Ted Cruz (@Ted Cruz) 1509911332.0
Here are some photos and video footage from the scene:
Families in tears wait to see if their family and friends are safe. Praying for the safety of all those involved. https://t.co/yjzK7lZJ1S— KSAT Max Massey (@KSAT Max Massey) 1509909270.0
Neighbors say they heard shooter may have reloaded multiple times, around 50 people usually at service https://t.co/tkAYMp2Y8A— KSAT Max Massey (@KSAT Max Massey) 1509907294.0
#BREAKING Confirmed shooting at First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs, police say multiple victims https://t.co/1ljzxpqk4f— KSAT Max Massey (@KSAT Max Massey) 1509906249.0
At least 6 helicopters called to transport victims https://t.co/GTwwQfPx6L— KSAT Max Massey (@KSAT Max Massey) 1509907104.0
This is what appears to be the front of the church, EMS still responding https://t.co/uxjHJlOTcL— KSAT Max Massey (@KSAT Max Massey) 1509907003.0
This is the scene of the shooting st the church pic.twitter.com/0sf1woffOl— Max Massey (@MaxMasseyTV) November 5, 2017