The highly anticipated "fake news awards" finally arrived via a tweet from President Donald Trump, but there was so much interest that the website crashed under the traffic.
Here's what happened
Trump posted the list of the "award winners" on his Twitter account — with more than 46 million followers.
And the FAKE NEWS winners are... https://t.co/59G6x2f7fD— Donald J. Trump (@Donald J. Trump)1516237205.0
The awards were posted on the GOP website, which quickly folded under the enormous demand from viewers.
"Tonight, gop.com saw more traffic than ever before. Even though the servers were scaled up, the interest was even greater than anticipated," the GOP account tweeted.
"Traffic is off the charts," they added. "Come back soon."
Tonight, https://t.co/YTZAIJpNhb saw more traffic than ever before. Even though the servers were scaled up, the int… https://t.co/bXoBDkaCh4— GOP (@GOP)1516239331.0
Eventually, the website was restored after a few hours.
Here are some of the "fake news" winners from Trump's ignominious list:
1. The New York Times’ Paul Krugman claimed on the day of President Trump’s historic, landslide victory that the economy would never recover.
2. ABC News' Brian Ross CHOKES and sends markets in a downward spiral with false report.
3. CNN FALSELY reported that candidate Donald Trump and his son Donald J. Trump, Jr. had access to hacked documents from WikiLeaks.
4. TIME FALSELY reported that President Trump removed a bust of Martin Luther King, Jr. from the Oval Office.
5. Washington Post FALSELY reported the President’s massive sold-out rally in Pensacola, Florida was empty. Dishonest reporter showed picture of empty arena HOURS before crowd started pouring in.
6. CNN FALSELY edited a video to make it appear President Trump defiantly overfed fish during a visit with the Japanese prime minister. Japanese prime minister actually led the way with the feeding.
The president also listed some of his accomplishments to contrast with the "fake news" winners:
1. The economy has created nearly 2 million jobs and gained over $8 trillion in wealth since the President’s inauguration.
2. African Americans and Hispanics are enjoying the lowest unemployment rate in recorded history.
3. The President signed historic tax cuts and relief for hardworking Americans not seen since President Reagan.
4. President Trump’s plan to cut regulations has exceeded “2 out for every 1 in” mandate, issuing 22 deregulatory actions for every one new regulatory action.
5. The President has unleashed an American energy boom by ending Obama-era regulations, approving the Keystone pipeline, auctioning off millions of new acres for energy exploration, and opening up ANWR.
6. ISIS is in retreat, having been crushed in Iraq and Syria.
The president had made it a cornerstone of his election campaign to attack the media with the label "fake news," and continued his derision after winning the election. The media has pushed back but has been criticized by many for their bias against the president and Republicans more broadly.