Hollywood icon and avowed left-winger Rob Reiner added to his ongoing attack on all things conservative and Republican, blaming the government shutdown on the GOP's "racism" and adding that the party is "frightened to death of the browning of America."
Make no mistake, this shutdown boils down to one thing: RACISM. GOP frightened to death of the browning of America.… https://t.co/uEWD37SBCC— Rob Reiner (@Rob Reiner)1516555652.0
"They will lose this last big battle of the Civil War," the filmmaker added in his Sunday tweet. "Diversity is our strength."
By Monday, Senate Democrats agreed to a deal with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) to end the shutdown in exchange for a vote on immigration — and 81 senators approved a temporary spending bill that reopened the government through Feb. 8.
McConnell said the Senate would consider immigration proposals protecting about 800,000 people brought to the U.S. illegally as children if Democrats agreed to end the shutdown, the Hill reported.
How did others react to Reiner's statement?
Comments on Reiner's tweet — which received nearly 57,000 likes and nearly 19,000 retweets as of Tuesday morning — seemed tilted against his perspective.
- "The GOP is filled with 'brown' people. But you’re unable to see it because it doesn’t fit your narrative," wrote a commenter who used the hashtag "LatinaRepublican."
- "Bringing people in from other countries who don't share those values (equal rights for woman, being gay is not a crime, etc.) in the name of 'diversity' will lead to exactly the same problems Europe is facing," one person commented.
- "I literally had no idea that simply wanting people to do things legally made someone a racist," another user quipped.
What else has Reiner been saying?
- Reiner tweeted last June that the "fight to save democracy" from Republican President Donald Trump "is now an all out war." He added a "treason" hashtag in the tweet focusing on Russian collusion.
- Reiner claimed last April that Russian meddling in the election was “the greatest attack on this democracy since 1941” — meaning Japan’s surprise bombing of Pearl Harbor.
- Just after the election, Reiner called Trump a “moron” and again said the U.S. was now “fighting the last big major battle since the Civil War.”
- He also told MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” months prior to the election that Trump’s campaign success was partly due to “a lot of people who are racists” — which prompted co-host Joe Scarborough to reply, “Oh, my God. Did you just say that?”
And at the Women's March in Los Angeles over the weekend, Reiner took the stage and told the crowd, "We have a racist in the White House. We have a sexist in the White House. We have a pathological liar in the White House."