© 2024 Blaze Media LLC. All rights reserved.
After 10 hour standoff with police, former serviceman kills 3 hostages
A hostage situation in Yountville, California ended in the deaths of three hostages and the killer. (Photo by Stephen Lam/Getty Images)

After 10 hour standoff with police, former serviceman kills 3 hostages

After a day-long standoff, a murderer and three victims are dead at a veterans home in California.

A hostage taker interrupted an employee going-away party at the Veterans Home of California on Friday, armed with a firearm and wearing body armor.

More than 30 shots were fired in the initial standoff, with law enforcement ultimately discovering the bodies of three female hostages and the killer himself upon entering the treatment center and housing facility in Yountville.

The suspect was a 36-year-old man who was reportedly receiving care at the facility.  According to State Senator Bill Dodd, the deceased hostages included a clinical worker, a psychiatrist, and the executive director of the treatment center.

At 6pm, Pacific Standard Time, officers found the dead bodies of the hostages as well as the suspect in the killings. No motive is know for the murders, and thus far there is no word of whether or not the victims were chosen randomly.

A vehicle rented by the suspect was found at the scene, with a cellphone inside. Law enforcement concluded "there is no threat to public safety at this time."

In a statement, California Governor Jerry Brown said "Anne and I are deeply saddened by the horrible violence at the Yountville Veterans Home, which tragically took the lives of three people dedicated to serving our veterans. Our hearts go out to their families and loved ones and the entire community of Yountville."

Early on Friday, there were reports that the suspect in the murders had been released from treatment at the facility just weeks ago, but that has not been confirmed.

California Highway Patrol Assistant Chief Chris Dodds said "this is a tragic piece of news - one we were really hoping we wouldn't have to come before the public to give." He further added that the first deputy on the scene "put himself in harm's way...and exchanged initial gunfire with the suspect. We credit him with saving the lives of others in the area by eliminating the ability of the suspect to go out and find further victims."

It is unknown whether or not the killer had any relationship with the victims. His name has not been reported, and it is the policy of TheBlaze not to report the names of murderers, regardless.

Want to leave a tip?

We answer to you. Help keep our content free of advertisers and big tech censorship by leaving a tip today.
Want to join the conversation?
Already a subscriber?