The bedrock of the American justice system is due process, which stipulates that those accused of crimes are entitled to the presumption of innocence. Unfortunately, this foundational principle was not afforded to Brett Kavanaugh after multiple women came forward with unsubstantiated claims of sexual assault.
So how do Americans feel about this? The Daily Caller's Benny Johnson asked anti-Kavanaugh protesters this week whether Kavanaugh deserves due process and the presumption of innocence. Their answers were nothing short of stunning.
What did they say?
- "In terms of him deserving due process, he's going for this position, this is what he has to go through."
- "Not in this case."
- "It's not about innocent until proven guilty. Yes, [Kavanaugh] is innocent until proven guilty, but that's not what this is, it's not a court. This is a job interview."
- "I wanna believe it, but his behavior is kinda contrary to that."
- "The thing is, it is not about innocent until guilty. It's about [Kavanaugh] will not stay still long enough and take responsibility for what has happened already...it's a sham, it's a total freaking scam."
- "They're letting [Kavanaugh] be innocent until proven guilty, but what about Dr. Ford? I mean, hello?"
- "His temperament is insane. His rulings are nonsense. He's a nasty, evil, horrible human being."
- "Due process is not what we're about. ... That's not the issue."