Actress Bette Midler sent her woke fans into an outrage on Monday when she defended women against the onslaught of the transgender agenda that says biological men can be women.
What did Midler say?
Declaring independence from the increasingly aggressive trans agenda, Midler said that women are "being stripped" of everything that makes them unique.
"WOMEN OF THE WORLD! We are being stripped of our rights over our bodies, our lives and even of our name! They don’t call us 'women' anymore; they call us 'birthing people' or 'menstruators', and even 'people with vaginas'!" Midler tweeted.
"Don’t let them erase you! Every human on earth owes you!" she added.
Midler did not specify whom she meant by "they," but she was presumably referring to activists and organizations that demand everyone uses "inclusive" language. Such language claims that biological men can also be women and undergo the same experiences that are unique to women.
What was the reaction?
Midler's tweet generated fierce backlash from people who believe she is promoting discrimination and — gasp — "transphobia."
The actress was even accused of being a "TERF," or trans-exclusionary radical feminist, a term that pro-trans advocates call women who believe that calling a biological man/transgender woman a "woman" erodes the true meaning of femininity.
- "Bette. Don’t be a TERF. Don’t make us boycott Hocus Pocus 2," journalist Kris Vire said.
- "SAD NEWS: Macy Gray & Bette Midler have come out as TERFs. Unfollow, un-support, and unsubscribe," journalist Ernest Owens said.
- "F*** Bette Midler too. It’s all of us or it’s none of us. We don’t get there with transphobic nonsense," Imani Barbarin said.
- "No one is trying to erase women with inclusive language about people who need abortion care. No one is calling you anything but what you prefer. You should extend that courtesy in return," author Roxane Gay reacted.
- "Suddenly I don’t want Hocus Pocus 2 anymore…… Really shocked to see she has fallen into this Voldemort way of thinking," YouTuber Roly West said.
- "Oh Christ almighty you bought this bulls***," journalist Katelyn Burns complained.
- "Of course she's a TERF," activist Wagatwe Wanjuki said.
Transgender journalist India Willoughby even accused Midler of promoting "fascist propaganda" disseminated by foreign intelligence agencies and claimed Midler has adopted tactics used by Joseph Stalin and chief Nazi propagandist Joseph Goebbels.