President Joe Biden horrified many on social media when he proclaimed that students are the children of everyone when they're in the classroom.
He made the comments at the White House Wednesday as he and the first lady hosted the 2022 National and State Teachers of the Year.
"You've heard me say it many times about our children, but it's true. They're all our children, and the reason you're the teachers of the year is that you recognize that," said Biden.
"They're not somebody else's children," he claimed. "They're like yours when they're in the classroom."
Biden's odd statement comes at a time when many parents are fighting against local school boards that are implementing controversial policies they disagree with, including Critical Race Theory, sex and gender lesson plans, and transgender bathroom rules.
While Biden meant the statement to express how much the government cares for children in schools, many on social media angrily rejected his formulation of ownership over children.
"How about no. My kids have had phenomenal teachers. They still didn't treat them like their own, did not care about them like I care about them. Stop with this," replied Karol Markowicz of the New York Post.
"Over my dead body is my child yours or anybody else's," responded activist Ashley St. Clair.
"My children are MY children. And God forbid you forget that," read another popular tweet.
"No. No they aren't. Creep," responded Christina Pushaw, the press secretary for Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R).
"No @POTUS they are MY children. They'll never be yours or any teachers. This is a hill us mothers will die on," read another popular tweet.
Polls and dropping school attendance show that many parents are choosing to opt out of the public school system in droves after the pandemic lockdown and numerous public school controversies.
Here's the video of Biden's statement:
- Psaki calls Florida bill 'horrific' and 'bullying' — but dodges question ... ›
- White House threatens states for protecting children from gender ... ›
- Teacher tells students pledge allegiance to pride flag - TheBlaze ›
- Stacey Abrams breaking mask mandate at school - TheBlaze ›
- Tim Scott will take on critical race theory and Biden's record in ... ›
- Video allegedly shows public HS school teacher forcibly removing ... ›
- Biden administration declares support for sex-change surgeries and ... ›
- California mom outraged at Christian preschool over video of kids ... ›
- Biden tells teachers children are 'yours when they’re in the classroom' - TheBlaze ›