© 2024 Blaze Media LLC. All rights reserved.
Ex-con escapes after attacking deputy, who was placed on life support and won't recover. But manhunt ends after homeowner shoots ex-con.
Image source: YouTube screenshot

Ex-con escapes after attacking deputy, who was placed on life support and won't recover. But manhunt ends after homeowner shoots ex-con.

Clinton Robert Hurley was released from an Arizona prison in December after serving time for attempted child molestation, Maricopa County Sheriff Paul Penzone told the Associated Press.

Court records indicate Hurley served 10 years, KPNX-TV reported.

Then around 11 a.m. Saturday, Hurley allegedly attacked a deputy who was processing him on multiple felony warrants at a substation in Avondale, authorities told the AP. Avondale is about 18 miles west of Phoenix, the outlet added.

Hurley took the deputy's SUV, crashed through a fence, and fled the area before allegedly stealing another vehicle and driving to Tonopah, authorities told the AP. Tonopah is about 52 miles west of Phoenix, the AP said.

What happened to the deputy?

The deputy — a three-year veteran — was found unconscious and bleeding from the face and rushed to a hospital, sheriff's officials told the outlet, adding that the deputy was placed on life support.

But Sheriff Penzone said Deputy Juan "Johnny" Ruiz never regained consciousness and will not recover from his injuries, KTVK-TV reported. The sheriff added to the station that Ruiz's family has decided to donate his organs and that Ruiz is undergoing testing to determine viability.

Family of MCSO deputy attacked by suspect to donate organs, sheriff details attackyoutu.be

"Over the next few days, he will be making a sacrifice so that others may benefit," Penzone said Monday morning, KTVK added.

What did the suspect do next?

The manhunt for Hurley ended Saturday night after a Tonopah homeowner shot Hurley, who was then hospitalized in critical condition, the AP said.

Officials said Hurley was shot around 6:30 p.m. when he tried to enter a home near Buckeye and Wintersburg roads, KPNX-TV said.

Penzone said at a news conference Saturday night that Hurley and the unidentified homeowner had a history of conflict, the AP said. Penzone added that gunfire was exchanged between them, KPNX reported.

Tactical units found Hurley with a gunshot wound and took him into custody, KNXV-TV reported.

"It is with a sense of relief that I express to you I am glad to know he is off our streets," Penzone said, according to KKTV-TV.

The AP said it wasn't immediately known if Hurley had a lawyer who could speak on his behalf.

Manhunt comes to end as homeowner shoots suspect accused of seriously injuring deputyyoutu.be

Want to leave a tip?

We answer to you. Help keep our content free of advertisers and big tech censorship by leaving a tip today.
Want to join the conversation?
Already a subscriber?