The 911 call indicated a second person with the intruder fled the scene on foot, police said.
Multiple officers responded, secured the scene, and began an investigation, police added.
Officers located the second alleged intruder hiding in a neighboring back yard, and that individual was detained, police noted.
The first alleged intruder was found dead at the scene, police said, adding that there is no danger to the community.
In a follow-up Facebook post Monday, police identified the fatally shot alleged intruder as 30-year-old Michael Bell of Clay City.
Police added that the individual allegedly with Bell during the incident was released Sunday without charges being filed at this time.
No charges are being filed against the homeowner, police said, adding that more information will be released as the case allows.
How are folks reacting?
Most people commenting on the police station's posts seem pleased about the outcome and hope the homeowner won't be charged:
- "Glad to hear the homeowner doesn't have any charges," one commenter said. "Hopefully this deters the next!"
- "Sounds like someone f’ed around and found out," another commenter declared.
- "I mean honestly… you kind of have to think about what the consequences could be when you decide to enter someone else’s property ... play stupid games, win stupid prizes," another commenter wrote.
- "If you go I someone else's house with bad intentions like stealing or hurting them you deserve it!" another commenter said.
- "So sorry to hear that a young person died because of his stupidity," another commenter noted. "Also, sorry for the homeowner and the years of trauma this incident will bring him."
- "Hopefully criminals think long and hard and decide against breaking and entering after this," another commenter remarked. "In this event, the deceased earned his fate on his own."
- "Very scary for the homeowner," another commenter observed. "You have to protect you and yours...I would do the same thing. I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6."
Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!