House Speaker Nancy Pelosi offered up a bald-faced lie on Tuesday when a CNN host asked the California Democrat about House Democrats' coronavirus relief bill.
"Everything we're suggesting just relates to COVID-19," Pelosi claimed. "It's not changing policy except as it applies here."
Speaker Pelosi says on her bill that "everything we are suggesting just relates to Covid-19. It is not about making… https://t.co/0FVuMDSc6D— Daily Caller (@Daily Caller)1585069268.0
Pelosi's claim is completely false.
In fact, the COVID-19 bill offered up by Democrats, which was a whopping 1,400 pages and would have cost taxpayers more than $2.5 trillion, included dozens of provisions completely unrelated to the COVID-19 crisis.
Included in the Democratic bill were:
- A bailout for the U.S. Postal Service
- Student loan debt forgiveness
- Required same-day voter registration
- Airline emissions standards regulations
- Study on climate change migration
- Collective bargaining provisions
- Increased federal minimum wage for companies that accept government loans
- Publication of race and pay statistics for corporate boards
But Democrats' pork-filled bill should be no surprise.
House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.) reportedly told Democratic colleagues last week that the COVID-19 emergency, in which the U.S. economy has come to a grinding halt, presented Democrats with "a tremendous opportunity to restructure things to fit our vision."
Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) engaged in similar rhetoric on Tuesday, defending the delay that Democrats have caused by admitting that they are requiring unrelated provisions for "the health of our democracy."