Tim Tebow's likely return to the NFL has ignited a new controversy after angry fans voiced frustration that Tebow is receiving another shot in the big leagues while Colin Kaepernick remains sidelined.
What are the details?
Multiple reports indicated that Tebow is expected to sign a one-year contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars in the coming days. Tebow, a former NFL quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner, will play the tight end position.
Tebow, 33, also will reunite with coach Urban Meyer. The pair won two college football national championships while at Florida in 2006 and 2008.
"The #Jaguars are planning to sign QB-turned-TE Tim Tebow to a 1-year deal, per me and @TomPelissero, a deal that could be official in the next week or so. Nothing done yet. But he'll have a chance to make the team to reunite with his mentor and college head coach Urban Meyer," NFL reporter Ian Rapoport tweeted.
"Tebow hasn't played football since the 2015 NFL preseason and has spent the past six years working as a broadcaster on the SEC Network and working on his professional baseball career," ESPN reported.
What was the reaction?
Fans already angry that Kaepernick has gone many seasons unsigned were predictably angry that Tebow will earn yet another NFL contract despite not having played in the league since 2012.
Among the reactions included claims that Tebow was able to secure a contract because he is white and Kaepernick cannot because he is black.
- "Tebow - Hasn't played in the NFL since 2012. Gets another shot. Kaepernick - Hasn't played since 2016. Gets nothing. What's the difference? Can't seem to put my finger on it..." one person said, tweeting side-by-side pictures of Tebow and Kaepernick.
- "Tim Tebow finding a team and Colin Kaepernick can't. White privilege NFL style. Tebow can't throw, never could, never played TE, and hasn't played in ..what ...8 years? Explain it to me like I'm 5," another person claimed.
- "There's no way you can tell me that Tim Tebow deserves to be on a team as an unproven tight end who hasn't played in 9 years more than Colin Kaepernick. There's just no way that's gonna make sense," another person reacted.
- "::laughs in Colin Kaepernick::," Jemele Hill said.
- "Tim Tebow hasn't played football in 6 years and will be 34 heading into training camp and he just signed with the Jags. From here on out, I don't ever want to hear another word about how Colin Kaepernick isn't good enough for another shot in the NFL," one person said.
- "Interesting how the same people that are praising Tim Tebow for his values outside of football, see Colin Kaepernick's values as a distraction," another person reacted.
- "But no one will sign Colin Kaepernick because hE hASn'T pLayEd in ForEvER and He woUlD bE a DiSTracTioN," another person mocked.
Tebow, of course, is not guaranteed a starting spot, nor is he guaranteed a spot on the Jaguar's 53-man regular season roster. Tebow will have to earn his spot on the team during training camp and preseason games.