Fox News Media issued a press release on Monday claiming that the network and Tucker Carlson had "agreed to part ways." Carlson has not yet publicly addressed the matter, but in Florida on Tuesday, the popular conservative commentator briefly spoke to DailyMail.com.
"Retirement is going great so far," he chuckled, according to the outlet. "I haven't eaten dinner with my wife on a weeknight in seven years." The outlet reported that when pressed about his future, Carlson smiled and jokingly replied, "Appetizers plus entree."
Video shows Carlson and his wife riding together in a golf cart.
The Wall Street Journal, citing unidentified sources, reported that Carlson learned he was being let go around 10 minutes prior to when Fox announced the news of the split.
"FOX News Media and Tucker Carlson have agreed to part ways. We thank him for his service to the network as a host and prior to that as a contributor," the company's press release declared. "Mr. Carlson’s last program was Friday April 21st. Fox News Tonight will air live at 8 PM/ET starting this evening as an interim show helmed by rotating FOX News personalities until a new host is named."
Carlson had apparently expected to return to the air on Monday, because he said "we'll be back on Monday" when closing out his program on Friday April 21.
In the wake of the news of the split, some people have taken to Twitter to announce that they have cancelled their subscription to the Fox Nation streaming service.
Politico quoted two Defense Department officials who were apparently pleased by the news about Carlson, though the outlet did not disclose the identities of those officials. "Good riddance," one official reportedly said.
The outlet reported that when asked to respond to the news that Defense Department officials were pleased, Carlson wrote via text, "Ha! I'm sure."
Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!